• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annaul Fees and Overlimit Charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JohnErick

What is the name of your state?: CALIFORNIA

Hi. I'm wondering if it is legal/permissible for credit card companies to charge you overlimit fees (at least in California right now) for pushing you over your limit due to an annual fee posting? I thought this was stopped, but I'm probably misinformed.

I have emailed them in an attempt to get this cleared up. On my online statement the actual 'statement' page says I owe $43 instead of the usual $15 to compensate for the overage and mentions no overlimit fee. Then on the front page where it summarizes, it says I owe $78 and I have a $30 over limit fee attached to this... I'm confused.

Thanks for any insight.
:mad:

adam2dot0

Usually if you call Customer Service and complain in a nice manner they'll remove some fees, if you've been a good customer. Sometimes you have to try a few different cutomer serivce reps to get your way. Its worked with my bank before...

Ladynred

If you're that close to the limit on your card you've got other problems. As Adam said, you may be able to get them to drop the fees with a 'good will' effort.

Betty

You should try not to get so close to your max. credit limit where the annual fee makes you go over the limit. If you know the month the fee is due, try a mo. or two before the due date to pay an additional amt. with your usual payment to cover the annual fee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">