• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any info on auto repo laws?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

megan71

What is the name of your state? Rhode Island
Help!
My was repossessed two days ago.I am two payments behind.I did not receive notice on intent to reposess.I do know they are not liable to notify me.
Today, I received a certified letter stating I need to pay 6000. in 10 days or they will sell my van and I will be responsible for paying the difference of the sale/owed.
My question is,do I have a right to make the two payments owed and get my vehicle back?I have paid on this van for three years and would hate to be sued.The van is not worth what I owe.
Also,should I contact the bank by certified mail or by phone to request a opportunity to become current?Thank you

bigun

Read your contract. I'll bet they have the right to accelerate the loan should you default. What is your payment history with this lender? If you have series of late payments in the past, they are likely tired of dealing with you.
With a tight time deadline, I think I would go the bank in person and plead my case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">