• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad cashiers check (I know)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ero

What is the name of your state? IL

I am trying to help out my cousin.

Basically, he is moving abroad so he was selling his stuff. Buyer sent him 2k instead of 200 for an table, claiming it was an bank error and asked him to return rest of it via WU. He thought it might be an scam, so he went to the bank to deposit it first and then when he checked with them, 3-4 days later, they have said that checked has cleared so he went ahead and WU the money.

Of course, 2 weeks later bank calls him up and told him that it was fraudulent check and deducted the money from his account.

His problem with the whole deal is that they told him that the check was cleared, even if it has not. Only later, they explained to him (when he complained) about good will policy with checks and that it takes up to 15 days for check to clear.

Now yes, obviously, what he did was pretty naive, BUT at the same time, cant the bank held responsible for telling him that the check has cleared, when it has not?

He complained to bank manager who said that
a. they are Now educating staff to tell customers proper info about good will and cleared checks
b. he would have done the same thing as teller did.

Is there anything he can do? He already wrote it off as his own stupidity, but I just find banks behaviour even worse.

thanks guys...

ecmst12

This is a pretty common scam, too. It's a shame the bank didn't give him the whole story the first time he asked, but ultimately it's his account so he's responsible.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? IL

I am trying to help out my cousin.

Basically, he is moving abroad so he was selling his stuff. Buyer sent him 2k instead of 200 for an table, claiming it was an bank error and asked him to return rest of it via WU. He thought it might be an scam, so he went to the bank to deposit it first and then when he checked with them, 3-4 days later, they have said that checked has cleared so he went ahead and WU the money.

Of course, 2 weeks later bank calls him up and told him that it was fraudulent check and deducted the money from his account.

His problem with the whole deal is that they told him that the check was cleared, even if it has not. Only later, they explained to him (when he complained) about good will policy with checks and that it takes up to 15 days for check to clear.

Now yes, obviously, what he did was pretty naive, BUT at the same time, cant the bank held responsible for telling him that the check has cleared, when it has not?

He complained to bank manager who said that
a. they are Now educating staff to tell customers proper info about good will and cleared checks
b. he would have done the same thing as teller did.

Is there anything he can do? He already wrote it off as his own stupidity, but I just find banks behaviour even worse.

thanks guys...

**A: tell him to move on. Oh yeah he's already doing that. Ok, then I guess nothing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">