• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad check, who's responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Natureboy

What is the name of your state? VA

Hello,
I was given a cashiers check for $4600.00 (made out to me) by a company that turned out to be a scam. I cashed the check and distributed the money to the people the company asked me to. This was part of the job. $4000.00 was distributed via Western Union and $322.00, I kept for payment. A week went by and the check was returned to the bank as no good, and they of course are saying I'm responsible. My response to the bank was, I didn't write the bad cashiers check nor do anything wrong therefore you should go after the company that wrote the check. That is my question, isn't the person who wrote the check responsible?

sperts

Natureboy said:

Hello,
I was given a cashiers check for $4600.00 (made out to me) by a company that turned out to be a scam. I cashed the check and distributed the money to the people the company asked me to. This was part of the job. $4000.00 was distributed via Western Union and $322.00, I kept for payment. A week went by and the check was returned to the bank as no good, and they of course are saying I'm responsible. My response to the bank was, I didn't write the bad cashiers check nor do anything wrong therefore you should go after the company that wrote the check. That is my question, isn't the person who wrote the check responsible?
another nigerian nitemare.:( sorry i dont know who is technically responsible but someone on here will answer you.

seniorjudge

Natureboy said:

Hello,
Q: That is my question, isn't the person who wrote the check responsible?

A: No. You (the scammer) are responsible.

Natureboy

seniorjudge said:
Q: That is my question, isn't the person who wrote the check responsible?

A: No. You (the scammer) are responsible.

Oh, I'm the scammer huh. I let you argue that with the FBI and the Police Dept who are currently investigating the scam.

Happy Trails

Natureboy said:
Oh, I'm the scammer huh. I let you argue that with the FBI and the Police Dept who are currently investigating the scam.
That's good that the FBI and police are investigating it. However, that does not get you off the hook with the bank. They will go after you and then it would be up to you to go after the person that scammed you.

You do know who that is don't you?

Natureboy

Happy Trails said:
That's good that the FBI and police are investigating it. However, that does not get you off the hook with the bank. They will go after you and then it would be up to you to go after the person that scammed you.

You do know who that is don't you?

I know the bank will come after me. They go after the easiest target, however that doesn't neccesarily mean they are correct. That's why Im asking for advice. Banks don't always do the 'right' thing. I know from personal experience they will get as much money out of you as they can, sometimes illegally.

As far as who scammed me, that's a good question. I know who they claimed to be, however that was a scam. They spoofed an email from careerbuilder.com (where I have my resume posted) offering me a job which I gladly accepted after calling the Better Business Bureau and checking their website and calling some phone numbers listed on it. Then they dissapeared, took their website down and simply vanished.

BelizeBreeze

Natureboy said:
I know the bank will come after me. They go after the easiest target, however that doesn't neccesarily mean they are correct. That's why Im asking for advice. Banks don't always do the 'right' thing. I know from personal experience they will get as much money out of you as they can, sometimes illegally.

As far as who scammed me, that's a good question. I know who they claimed to be, however that was a scam. They spoofed an email from careerbuilder.com (where I have my resume posted) offering me a job which I gladly accepted after calling the Better Business Bureau and checking their website and calling some phone numbers listed on it. Then they dissapeared, took their website down and simply vanished.
You presented the draft to your bank. You are liable. That's the end of it. Unless you'd like another opinion....say from the FBI for banking fraud?

S

shell007

BelizeBreeze said:
You presented the draft to your bank. You are liable. That's the end of it. Unless you'd like another opinion....say from the FBI for banking fraud?
Agree!!!

You can turn this thing UPSIDE DOWN, INSIDE OUT, as many times/ways as you like. In the end...IT WILL CHANGE NOTHING.

As BB said: YOU ARE LIABLE.

rmb3933

Natureboy

Natureboy- How did this turn out in the end? My husband has been looking for a job, and this guy messaged him back with an extremely similar story. The guy said that my husband would be his personal assistant and the guy supposedly lived in the UK. He said he would send my husband a money order and or a travelers check and my husband is to cash it, take out $500 for himself, and then he will be given tasks to do with the rest of the money. his first task is to take the remainder of the money and western union it to the guy's business partner.

This was a red flag, after reading your post. I hope you can reply to this asap, as we are very curious if this is a scam or not.

Thank you

justalayman

this thread is over 4 years old and the OP has not been back to the site since posting this. I doubt the OP even remembers posting here.

justalayman

Natureboy- How did this turn out in the end? My husband has been looking for a job, and this guy messaged him back with an extremely similar story. The guy said that my husband would be his personal assistant and the guy supposedly lived in the UK. He said he would send my husband a money order and or a travelers check and my husband is to cash it, take out $500 for himself, and then he will be given tasks to do with the rest of the money. his first task is to take the remainder of the money and western union it to the guy's business partner.

This was a red flag, after reading your post. I hope you can reply to this asap, as we are very curious if this is a scam or not.

Thank you
it is a scam. walk away from it.

FlyingRon

Western Union warns you.
I'll warn you.
Western Union is for sending money to your cousin Bruce who's clunker broke down in Poughkeepsie. It's not for any sort of business transaction or for sending money to people you don't know. You might as well throw the money into the ocean for all it does you. Once you give someone the transaction details the money can be retrieved anywhere in the world without recourse.

Any transaction, I don't care if it is one of these cashier check schemes, or someone trying to sell you something on Craig's List or eBay, if it involves Western Union, it is going to be a SCAM.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">