+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Natureboy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3

    Bad check, who's responsible?

    What is the name of your state? VA

    Hello,
    I was given a cashiers check for $4600.00 (made out to me) by a company that turned out to be a scam. I cashed the check and distributed the money to the people the company asked me to. This was part of the job. $4000.00 was distributed via Western Union and $322.00, I kept for payment. A week went by and the check was returned to the bank as no good, and they of course are saying I'm responsible. My response to the bank was, I didn't write the bad cashiers check nor do anything wrong therefore you should go after the company that wrote the check. That is my question, isn't the person who wrote the check responsible?
  2. #2
    sperts is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Natureboy
    What is the name of your state? VA

    Hello,
    I was given a cashiers check for $4600.00 (made out to me) by a company that turned out to be a scam. I cashed the check and distributed the money to the people the company asked me to. This was part of the job. $4000.00 was distributed via Western Union and $322.00, I kept for payment. A week went by and the check was returned to the bank as no good, and they of course are saying I'm responsible. My response to the bank was, I didn't write the bad cashiers check nor do anything wrong therefore you should go after the company that wrote the check. That is my question, isn't the person who wrote the check responsible?
    another nigerian nitemare. sorry i dont know who is technically responsible but someone on here will answer you.
  3. #3
    seniorjudge is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Odo of Cluny Parish
    Posts
    29,533
    Quote Originally Posted by Natureboy
    What is the name of your state? VA

    Hello,
    I was given a cashiers check for $4600.00 (made out to me) by a company that turned out to be a scam. I cashed the check and distributed the money to the people the company asked me to. This was part of the job. $4000.00 was distributed via Western Union and $322.00, I kept for payment. A week went by and the check was returned to the bank as no good, and they of course are saying I'm responsible. My response to the bank was, I didn't write the bad cashiers check nor do anything wrong therefore you should go after the company that wrote the check. That is my question, isn't the person who wrote the check responsible?
    Q: That is my question, isn't the person who wrote the check responsible?

    A: No. You (the scammer) are responsible.
    There are two rules for success:

    (1) Never tell everything you know.
  4. #4
    Natureboy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorjudge
    Q: That is my question, isn't the person who wrote the check responsible?

    A: No. You (the scammer) are responsible.

    Oh, I'm the scammer huh. I let you argue that with the FBI and the Police Dept who are currently investigating the scam.
  5. #5
    Happy Trails is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Natureboy
    Oh, I'm the scammer huh. I let you argue that with the FBI and the Police Dept who are currently investigating the scam.
    That's good that the FBI and police are investigating it. However, that does not get you off the hook with the bank. They will go after you and then it would be up to you to go after the person that scammed you.

    You do know who that is don't you?
  6. #6
    Natureboy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Trails
    That's good that the FBI and police are investigating it. However, that does not get you off the hook with the bank. They will go after you and then it would be up to you to go after the person that scammed you.

    You do know who that is don't you?

    I know the bank will come after me. They go after the easiest target, however that doesn't neccesarily mean they are correct. That's why Im asking for advice. Banks don't always do the 'right' thing. I know from personal experience they will get as much money out of you as they can, sometimes illegally.

    As far as who scammed me, that's a good question. I know who they claimed to be, however that was a scam. They spoofed an email from careerbuilder.com (where I have my resume posted) offering me a job which I gladly accepted after calling the Better Business Bureau and checking their website and calling some phone numbers listed on it. Then they dissapeared, took their website down and simply vanished.
  7. #7
    BelizeBreeze is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    "Harvey and Me"
    Posts
    25,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Natureboy
    I know the bank will come after me. They go after the easiest target, however that doesn't neccesarily mean they are correct. That's why Im asking for advice. Banks don't always do the 'right' thing. I know from personal experience they will get as much money out of you as they can, sometimes illegally.

    As far as who scammed me, that's a good question. I know who they claimed to be, however that was a scam. They spoofed an email from careerbuilder.com (where I have my resume posted) offering me a job which I gladly accepted after calling the Better Business Bureau and checking their website and calling some phone numbers listed on it. Then they dissapeared, took their website down and simply vanished.
    You presented the draft to your bank. You are liable. That's the end of it. Unless you'd like another opinion....say from the FBI for banking fraud?
  8. #8
    shell007 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BelizeBreeze
    You presented the draft to your bank. You are liable. That's the end of it. Unless you'd like another opinion....say from the FBI for banking fraud?
    Agree!!!

    You can turn this thing UPSIDE DOWN, INSIDE OUT, as many times/ways as you like. In the end...IT WILL CHANGE NOTHING.

    As BB said: YOU ARE LIABLE.
  9. #9
    Happy Trails is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,432

    You can be glad you weren't these guys.

    [url]http://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=193982[/url]

    [url]http://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=197162[/url]

    [url]http://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=135839[/url]

    There are a lot of people that have been scammed that have come to this site. You can go to the "Search" function in this site and type in "Nigeria".
  10. #10
    rmb3933 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1

    Exclamation Natureboy

    Natureboy- How did this turn out in the end? My husband has been looking for a job, and this guy messaged him back with an extremely similar story. The guy said that my husband would be his personal assistant and the guy supposedly lived in the UK. He said he would send my husband a money order and or a travelers check and my husband is to cash it, take out $500 for himself, and then he will be given tasks to do with the rest of the money. his first task is to take the remainder of the money and western union it to the guy's business partner.

    This was a red flag, after reading your post. I hope you can reply to this asap, as we are very curious if this is a scam or not.

    Thank you
  11. #11
    justalayman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the ether
    Posts
    34,442
    this thread is over 4 years old and the OP has not been back to the site since posting this. I doubt the OP even remembers posting here.
  12. #12
    justalayman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the ether
    Posts
    34,442
    Quote Originally Posted by rmb3933 View Post
    Natureboy- How did this turn out in the end? My husband has been looking for a job, and this guy messaged him back with an extremely similar story. The guy said that my husband would be his personal assistant and the guy supposedly lived in the UK. He said he would send my husband a money order and or a travelers check and my husband is to cash it, take out $500 for himself, and then he will be given tasks to do with the rest of the money. his first task is to take the remainder of the money and western union it to the guy's business partner.

    This was a red flag, after reading your post. I hope you can reply to this asap, as we are very curious if this is a scam or not.

    Thank you
    it is a scam. walk away from it.
  13. #13
    Zigner is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    54,078
    Quote Originally Posted by justalayman View Post
    it is a scam. walk away from it.
    Walk?

    Hell, I'd RUN!
  14. #14
    FlyingRon is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,634
    Western Union warns you.
    I'll warn you.
    Western Union is for sending money to your cousin Bruce who's clunker broke down in Poughkeepsie. It's not for any sort of business transaction or for sending money to people you don't know. You might as well throw the money into the ocean for all it does you. Once you give someone the transaction details the money can be retrieved anywhere in the world without recourse.

    Any transaction, I don't care if it is one of these cashier check schemes, or someone trying to sell you something on Craig's List or eBay, if it involves Western Union, it is going to be a SCAM.

Similar Threads

  1. Who is criminally responsible re: theft by check
    By lala10 in forum Other Crimes Federal and State
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-18-2011, 12:35 PM
  2. Am I responsible for stop check fees?
    By funny9235 in forum Banking & Credit Cards
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-19-2008, 10:13 AM
  3. Payment processor BOUNCED a check, am I responsible?
    By Chaosult in forum Debt Collections
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-14-2008, 03:54 PM
  4. Third party check...who's responsible?
    By makemeincubus in forum Banking & Credit Cards
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-03-2005, 12:30 PM
  5. Is minor responsible for worthless check?
    By maddadd in forum Consumer Contracts, Guarantees and Warranties
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-24-2004, 11:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.