• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Balance transfer and customer service problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Magz

What is the name of your state? WI

I'm not going to name the credit card company since I don't know how I'm going to deal with this yet. Not that it would matter if I did mention it or not.

I did a couple of balance transfers because it read, on the website where you'd click around to do a transfer, that the rate would be the *purchase apr*. Now I understand what a balance transfer is, I understand a balance transfer usually has it's own rate- as a balance transfer rate. This said it would be the PURCHASE APR though, which was 0%.

Now I argued with them about this back and forth, online. Got a or some finance charges credited but they wouldn't budge on the rate issue. Finally got sick of it and told them to forward our conversations to someone higher up. I got a phone call. The lady apologized, admitted it was misleading, and that I'd get the 0%. Any further transfers would be the current balance transfer rates though. I was perfectly fine with that.

As days and then weeks went by I noticed the rate hadn't changed and the other finance charges were still on there(they were to take these off as well). So it was back to contacting them here online. Got the same crapola responses I was getting in the beginning. More than once I asked again for them to get someone higher up.

They were supposed to call. They called, but they were told to call me after a certain time- when I'd actually be home. They only tried calling at the correct time twice- one call right after the other, seconds apart.

Then this past Friday I think it was, I was told someone would be calling in the next 24-48 hours. No one still has called.

Through all of this contacting online, I asked them specifically and repeatedly to respond to the fact that one of their people had called and apologized and said the website was misleading and that I'd be getting the 0%. Except for in the beginning when the person online was claiming they weren't authorized or able to listen to those calls(so I told him/her to forward my request to someone who COULD), every single time they never even touched on that subject. I would tell them not to respond unless they were going to address that issue. They did anyway. The phone call that I had with that person has never been addressed.

Now I haven't bothered to call them because I didn't want to deal with someone who hadn't taken the time to read up on our online conversations. I also wanted everything in writing so I had a copy of each response, even though they do record phone conversations(which is why I kept telling them to listen to it. I've even requested a copy of that call- they've never responded to THAT either). I obviously wanted something I had easy access to.

Sorry that was so long. Any suggestions? Any lawyers here? Obviously I'm very PO'd about all this. The misleading wording for the balance transfer, the telling me I'd get the 0% and then backing out of it, and the crap I've had to take getting the same responses from different people working there- not getting phone calls when I was supposed to, etc etc.

Debt Guy

This person who called, apologized and made the promise -- that person have a name? If so, call her back and talk to her.

If you don't have the name, tsk, tsk.

You can sue anyone for anything anytime. Suing and winning are not the same.

Bringing a suit against a major bank for misleading advertising and such is not cheap. The bank has much deeper pockets and lawyers out the wazoo. You will have to pay your lawyer by the hour -- and it might take a year or longer to get in front of a jury -- then it is a 50/50 crapshoot.

I don't know what else to tell you. Keep complaining. Write letters to the AG of your state, AG of their state, BBB in their home city, the CEO of the bank, the Comptroller of the Currency, FDIC, FTC, etc.

efflandt

Read the back of your credit card statement as to what is required to dispute a charge. Typically you must notify them in writing within a limited time of when you first noticed a problem on your statement (regardless of any phone conversations).

Did the website specifically say "0% interest for balance transfers" (and what was the balance transfer fee, which may be 3-4%, often with no limit). Note that special rates may not apply if you have been late with payments, or late after starting a special rate. You also have to be careful about wording of the teaser end. If it expires in July, they might actually start charging normal interest shortly after your June bill is due (the period beginning for July billing).

Magz

Thanks for the responses.

Debt Guy- I may or may not know the name of the person who called ;-) but that doesn't seem to be an issue. They've never even asked me- or don't dare to. The fact that they won't even touch that subject, and the fact that they record the calls..well it's obvious they do know what I'm talking about but for some odd reason are stabbing me in the back. I'm not sure why they're doing this, it's not like they'd be out of tons of money- they being so huge. Then there's the issue of maybe it wouldn't be just me complaining and even going after them if it comes to that.

Thanks for the advice though, I'll see who else I can contact.

efflandt- I did write. This was before the phone call- it's the reason why I got the phone call.

The other things you mentioned- I'm quite aware of those and none of them apply. They've never said they were the reasons either- only the balance transfer rate is what they bring up.

Here is what it says on the website: "Same APR as when you make purchases, as previously disclosed to you 1 "

When I "make purchases", it's 0%.

The 1 obviosly means you scroll down to see what the "small print" is. That says "1 - Transactions eligible for this offer will receive the applicable purchase APR under the terms of the Cardmember Agreement. "

Now I read up on it. The **PURCHASE** APR is 0%.

I've done balance transfers before- online etc. I have a very good credit rating. I know the difference between a balance transfer and a purchase. The balance transfer rate in the agreement is a certain amount. The purchase APR is another. I get special offers, or see them, all the time. Things change. What's in my "agreement" may no longer apply if something new is offered.

And again, I was told via a phone call that yes it is misleading and that I'd get the 0% etc etc.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">