• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bank account seizure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nailgun

What is the name of your state? NewYork State
Have a judgement against me for a credit card debt about 4700.00- question is do they try and seize bank accounts or just go for a garnishment? and if they go after bank account and my wife is on the account but the judgement is my debt alone can they touch the money in joint checking and or savings??

racer72

They can garnish both wages and bank accounts, even joint accounts. You can contact the bank and and by showing proof, make the percentage your wife adds to the account seizure proof. It would be easier for her to move her money to a different account, better yet at a different bank.

V

VeeGee

What is the name of your state? NewYork State
Have a judgement against me for a credit card debt about 4700.00- question is do they try and seize bank accounts or just go for a garnishment? and if they go after bank account and my wife is on the account but the judgement is my debt alone can they touch the money in joint checking and or savings??

Trust me...they don't just TRY to seize a bank account.....THEY DO IT! It just happened to my brother in law ( new york state too). He shares his account with his wife and they seized the account. Most of the money is hers, and she has valid proof it's hers. I was told by a member that she can request a hearing with the judge and with the valid proof...her percentage will be freed up. In my brother in laws case...they haven't touched the money yet, ( they froze his acct up to a year) I don't know what that means? They told him he would need to go to the bank and sign a "condition release" I'm not sure why they need that to take the money??? ( Can someone tell me why) The bottom line here is...it is so much better to just pay off the judgement, and put it behind you ( if your financially able to). Get in writing that it is "satisfied and paid in full". If your wife has her percentage freed up...you will still owe this debt and the judgement is still against you. From what I'm told...judgements stay on your credit report for a long time...and is poison as far as getting credit. Also, if I'm not mistaken ( if I am...I'm sure someone will correct me lol )....a judgement can be renewed? So sometimes the SOL on a judgement won't help. In NY it's 10 yrs...but if they renew it...I don't know how much longer it can be extended to? Does anyone know?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">