• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank of America - HELP!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flume

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

BOA is attempting to collect on a credit card debt that I owe. It is at 210 days late. In the most recent message left for me it states that they are sending it to litigation if I do not call them by X deadline. I have absolutely not a dime to give them and I will not have a dime to give them for quite some time.... several months at least. They obviously will want me to send them some $$ if I call them back. If they sue.... I have no idea what I would do. I cannot even afford an attorney. Any advice?????

As a general rule, you NEVER want to just ignore any attempts of collection on a valid debt.

It sounds like the debt is valid based on your post. All those fees are accumulating daily, late charges, interest, etc.

You should contact them, explain your situation (maybe write a letter of hardship) and try to work some kind of an agreeable payment plan out. Depending on the size of the debt it could be as little as $20 a month. A lower total pay-off amount.

In my opinion, most Debt collectors would be willing to negotiate some repayment plan versus ending up in court.

As a lot of posters on here will tell you, communication is key.

There is a nice little guide on how to negotiate with a debt collector (which can apply to the original creditor to) to give you an idea of what to expect and what you should plan for.

Just do a quick search and you should find it.

Ladynred

In the most recent message left for me it states that they are sending it to litigation if I do not call them by X deadline.
That's a very typical threat and 99% of the time it's pure BS, absolutely meant to scare you into forking over the cash they just know you're hiding from them :rolleyes:

At 210 days late, the account was charged off 30 days ago, perhaps 60 days ago and it's been farmed out to a collection agency or possibly even sold to a junk debt buyer.

It is too late for a 'hardship' agreement, they've written it off their books already and will only demand payment in full. A 'hardship letter' will be summarily ignored by any collection agency, they don't CARE what your problems are!

Whether or not they will actually sue depends on the collection agency and how much you owe on the account.

Lajazz947

Bank of America

I owe BofA about $70,000 on 2 revolving lines of credit. Used the money to remodel house not on frivolous stuff, vacations etc.

I wrote a hardship letter proposing $200 per month (forever I guess)

They ignored it for two months but then I called and they lowered my interest rate to 2% ( great but the payment they wanted was $1400, not doable)

I send in what i can to look good but BK seems like the only option for me.

I have an attorney so we will see what happens.

Anybody have experience with BofA in a chargeoff setting?

Lajazz947

What are you talking about?

The original thread was BofA.

Can't you just help out here?

We are all here to work together.

Sheeeesh!!!!!!

Lajazz947

Ok,ok

I just went onto another forum where there isn't so much hassle and I got lots of advice.

All the time you spent on this would have been better served helping me.

Thanks anyway.

Country Living

I took less than a minute with each response so it wasn't "all the time....spent".

The person who took the time to create the posting received his/her answer. The fact you chose to tag along instead of following the rules was unfortunate. You would have gotten some good feedback.

I suspect you started your own thread on the other website, which was the appropriate thing to do.

It's also unfortunate you feel being reminded to use your manners equates to your being hassled.

Lajazz947

Ok

So you still wasted 2 minutes 'teaching me a lesson' instead of helping me.

I would have just offered the poster advice, silly me.

Have it your way.

Lajazz947

Teaching

I've never considered teaching to be wasted time. It's the learning that some people find difficult.
Interesting to note that I teach part time at the university level and I do not consider teaching a waste of time either.

I have also never told a student that unless he/she asks a question a certain way or in a certain format that I will not provide an answer.

This is WAY out of hand and I'll not post again on this topic.

It's really clear and simple, maybe I should have started another thread but I did not.

You could have taken the time to answer my question, you did not.

You are stuck on a technicality, I am not.

I got my answers elsewhere.

Thanks anyway.

Country Living

From the bkforum "LaJazz, It's against our forum rules to post new questions to threads that have been inactive more than a few months. In the future, when you have a question to ask, please start your own new thread - thanks!"
See, everyone has the same rule about starting your own thread.

This is WAY out of hand and I'll not post again on this topic.
Thank goodness! There are few people on this forum who have empathy for someone trying to stiff his creditors out of more than $70,000.

Hot Topic

So, OP, you got yourself in debt remodeling a house and going on vacation, etc., and want people to think poorly of B of A because they expect to be paid?

I'd love to see that "hardship" letter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">