• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank of America sent me checks with the wrong account number?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eyelovegsus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

Received check books from Bank of America with another person's account number and my personal information. I did not realize until they called me about writing fraudulent checks. Currently sorting it out with their fraud analyst. Will this impact my credit history, what do I do about the fact the other person now knows my personal name, address, phone number since the checks were posted to his account. How do I go about getting the checks I wrote out off of the wrong account number and paid through my own account?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

Received check books from Bank of America with another person's account number and my personal information. I did not realize until they called me about writing fraudulent checks. Currently sorting it out with their fraud analyst. Will this impact my credit history, what do I do about the fact the other person now knows my personal name, address, phone number since the checks were posted to his account. How do I go about getting the checks I wrote out off of the wrong account number and paid through my own account?
You need to work with the bank to correct this issue. This other account holder doesn't have access to your personal information (ssn, dob, etc). This should not affect your credit history. If you do have any checks returning insist that the bank write apology letters to all those affected - it is their duty.

If you don't get resolution by using their customer service (give them at least 10 business days to clean up their mess) ask for the Customer Solutions dept. This dept is not customer service - insist on Customer Solutions if your situation is not resolved.

In defense of this and all banks, banks are made up of people and people make mistakes. It is up to them however, to correct their errors and make you whole.

take care, ana

TigerD

You know, the first thing I do when I receive a re-order on my checks is verify the name address. I can honestly say, I don't think I have ever really looked at the account number when they come in.

How have you been making your deposits? A deposit slip with the checkbook should have also had the wrong number.

DC

Antigone*

You know, the first thing I do when I receive a re-order on my checks is verify the name address. I can honestly say, I don't think I have ever really looked at the account number when they come in.

How have you been making your deposits? A deposit slip with the checkbook should have also had the wrong number.

DC

Yikes:eek::eek::eek: DC, You have pointed out something that is overlooked all too often. We all now know that these few numbers on the bottom of the check are the most important piece of information on that instrument.

take care, ana

StephenH

I would contact the bank and bring in the checks you were sent with the wrong account number to the tellers. I would bring them in the original boxes and bring in the order form you used if you had a copy of it. I would also immedately stop writing checks with the wrong number (if needed, use Online Banking in the meantime). I would show the fraud experts the boxes and unused checks to show them that they are in fact bank checks, not counterfeit checks and if the checks contain any security features show them that they are legit. If you can prove this, the bank may beleive you and should issue you new checks at no charge. I would also offer to reimburse the person who was a victim all of the money your checks accidently took out of their account by the misprint.

If the bank still is pursuing fraud charges against you, you may be able to use this as a defense in court, or even file a counterclaim against the bank accusing them of a misprint.

efflandt

Just curious how you ordered the checks. Normally I use the order form in the checks when nearly gone (which should have correct number). But probably few people think to check the account number when they receive checks. I know one number by heart because I had the account over 30 years, but would have to look up the other one (that auto pays my house payment from partial direct deposit).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">