• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank of America shows my payments as pending then they disappear...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I have had this happen 3 times in 4 months. First I was sure that I had made a paymnet, but I figured I screwed up and didn't fight it. The second time I scheduled a payment prior to being out of town for a week. When I came back the payment had not posted. It was not even showing up as schedules! I immediately scheduled the payment and of course I didn't print out the receipt. (stupid me!) so.... I checked the next day the payment was pending. I checked today and my account was late. The payment had not been posted. It had dissappeared AGAIN! Now I have to pay HIGH interest rates, and i don't have any proof that I scheduled the payments because I was out of ink and didn't print or save a receipt. (again, dumb, I know...)

What can I do? The payments were not taken from my checking account. I use alerts and there is no option for a payment confirmation alert. Would they have a record of my scheduled payments? I don't want to make BOA mad. It is the only credit card I have. I don't want my credit ruined. Until now I have NEVER had a late payment on anything except my cell phone bill once or twice in 20 years...:(

Antigone*

couple of questions

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I have had this happen 3 times in 4 months. First I was sure that I had made a paymnet, but I figured I screwed up and didn't fight it. The second time I scheduled a payment prior to being out of town for a week. When I came back the payment had not posted. It was not even showing up as schedules! I immediately scheduled the payment and of course I didn't print out the receipt. (stupid me!) so.... I checked the next day the payment was pending. I checked today and my account was late. The payment had not been posted. It had dissappeared AGAIN! Now I have to pay HIGH interest rates, and i don't have any proof that I scheduled the payments because I was out of ink and didn't print or save a receipt. (again, dumb, I know...)

What can I do? The payments were not taken from my checking account. I use alerts and there is no option for a payment confirmation alert. Would they have a record of my scheduled payments? I don't want to make BOA mad. It is the only credit card I have. I don't want my credit ruined. Until now I have NEVER had a late payment on anything except my cell phone bill once or twice in 20 years...:(

1 - Were you making your payments through online banking?

2 - Were you using BofA's online banking?

3 - Were you paying a BofA credit card?

If the answers to your question is yes, yes & yes, then my suggestion is for you to call online banking and speak to the bill pay department. You will want to give them the dates and amounts of the payments that did not post. There could be a few reasons as to why the payment didn't post. The reasons could vary. If they deem that there was an issue with the online banking ask them to please back date the payments, reverse the late charges and correct the credit history.

Just and FYI - The Bank of America Credit Card is one of the few online payments that shows pending. Most other online payments only show after they have hard posted.

Hope this helps, take care, ana

1 - Were you making your payments through online banking?
I was paying on the BOA site from my checking account at a local bank.

2 - Were you using BofA's online banking?
I don't have a BOA checking account. I only have a BOA credit card.

3 - Were you paying a BofA credit card?
Yes, I was paying my BOA credit card payment on the BOA site using my checking account from a local bank that is not related to BOA. I made other payments like my car payment and a Citibank payment from their websites withdrawn from my checking account and they worked fine.

I emailed their customer service center and they replied that they show only one pending payment. I lost my great APR's because of this. I do not have a history of ever being late. This happened and now I lost my 0% financing.... :(

I checked my other cards and since BOA did this I have NO other offers to fall back on! Did they purposely do something to force me to pay them some money on my line of credit?

Antigone*

I'm sorry that I wasn't able to help you Great Ideas. When you spoke about scheduling a payment it appeared to me that you were speaking about online banking. Since my expertise in on the banking side of the house and not the credit card side of the house there isn't much I can offer you.

I would suggest however that you always keep the confirmation numbers/notices - at least until the payments post.

take care, ana

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Sorry, great ideas, I have no advice for you. But I wanted to let you know it's not just you. I have had some problems with payments made on the BOA site. A couple of scheduled payments just disappeared, one instant payment wasn't processed--and when I went back to check it was listed as a "scheduled" payment (for a month later!). Luckily, I caught them all in time to keep them from being late because I always double check everything. Now, with BOA, I triple check.

A couple of months ago I made the payment and made sure it was processed correctly. Then I got a call a week later asking me why it hadn't been paid. When I checked my account on the site it confirmed the payment had been made and the account was not late, plus the money had been processed from my checking account. When I called them back with the confirmation numbers, etc., she said she didn't know what I was talking about, or why I had gotten a call--her record showed the payment had been made the day before the due date, and the account was current.

I don't know what's going on with BOA, but don't trust anything you do on that site. Make sure the payment is processed. Note your confirmation numbers. And make sure the money is actually withdrawn from whatever source of funds you use.

Sorry, great ideas, I have no advice for you. But I wanted to let you know it's not just you. I have had some problems with payments made on the BOA site. A couple of scheduled payments just disappeared, one instant payment wasn't processed--and when I went back to check it was listed as a "scheduled" payment (for a month later!). Luckily, I caught them all in time to keep them from being late because I always double check everything. Now, with BOA, I triple check.

A couple of months ago I made the payment and made sure it was processed correctly. Then I got a call a week later asking me why it hadn't been paid. When I checked my account on the site it confirmed the payment had been made and the account was not late, plus the money had been processed from my checking account. When I called them back with the confirmation numbers, etc., she said she didn't know what I was talking about, or why I had gotten a call--her record showed the payment had been made the day before the due date, and the account was current.

I don't know what's going on with BOA, but don't trust anything you do on that site. Make sure the payment is processed. Note your confirmation numbers. And make sure the money is actually withdrawn from whatever source of funds you use.
Thank you. Too bad I was so trusting of BOA to withdraw my payments as scheduled. Now they have destroyed my perfect credit rating. They took my limit down to the amount of my balance (less then 25% of my limit) reported my payment as delinquent, and started a landslide concerning my finances! Since they have done this I reviewed my account with Discover and Citifinancial. Citibank closed my card that had no balance! They lowered the limit on the other card to the balance reulting in an over the limit fee when the interest was added for the payment due in August! Discover lowered my limit by 25% and I still have credit left with them. One late payment that I could prove isn't my fault if I would have printed or saved the darn paid receipt, and suddenly my credit is mud? It doesn't make since. I have had credit cards with small balances for 20 years. When I bought my car the man at the dealership said he had never seen perfect credit until he pulled my report. Now what? Will it ever be perfect again?

heightsgirl

Since they have done this I reviewed my account with Discover and Citifinancial. Citibank closed my card that had no balance! They lowered the limit on the other card to the balance reulting in an over the limit fee when the interest was added for the payment due in August! Discover lowered my limit by 25% and I still have credit left with them. QUOTE]

What happened to BOA being the only credit card you had?

Antigone*

Since they have done this I reviewed my account with Discover and Citifinancial. Citibank closed my card that had no balance! They lowered the limit on the other card to the balance reulting in an over the limit fee when the interest was added for the payment due in August! Discover lowered my limit by 25% and I still have credit left with them. QUOTE]

why did you bring back this post from the dead? She already has another one going about nearly the same thing?

I said that I only have a credit card with BOA, not a checking account. I have several credit cards.

strongone

BoA is terrible. Not only do things appear as pending and then disappear, they rearrange transactions so they can charge their $35 NSF fees on debit card/check card transactions. For example, you can have 6 transactions that appear on a certain date. Let's say you accidentally go $1 below your account balance. Rather than rejecting the purchase/debit, they will let it go through. Then they will charge you a $35 fee for all of the SMALLER transactions, rather than just making the larger transaction(s) have a fee assessed. This happened to me. I paid my electric bill ($200) online via my check card. Two weeks went by, and it still hadn't shown up in my BoA account. I thought maybe I didn't click "submit" or did something else wrong. My balance was showing up as having that extra $200, and I was about a day away from getting paid (direct deposit), so I used my debit card for some small purchases. I decided to keep that extra $200 cushion, just in case the power bill went through. Well...sure enough, it cleared the same day (showed up the next day, werid). I went $3 in overdraft, and was charged SIX $35 fees...rather than getting ONE fee for the largest transaction! So, I contacted the electric company, who said they rec'd my payment a week and a half prior! BoA held the transaction for a week and a half.

There are thousands of consumer complaints about BoA all over the web. The Federal Reserve is currently investigating them for unfair practices.

I am moving my money to a credit union in a week.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I've NEVER had a problem in, oh, 10+ years.
Then again, I stay well under my limit and I pay this card in full each month.

strongone

I've NEVER had a problem in, oh, 10+ years.
Then again, I stay well under my limit and I pay this card in full each month.
I had a credit card (pd off) with them too, and never had a problem. I was shocked to see how they handle checking accounts.

Antigone*

Not only do things appear as pending and then disappear, they rearrange transactions so they can charge their $35 NSF fees on debit card/check card transactions. For example, you can have 6 transactions that appear on a certain date. Let's say you accidentally go $1 below your account balance

That is not correct. BOA post debit (pin # number-based) purchases the same day if received prior to 7pm. Check card purchases are paid the DAY the salesdraft is received from the merchant (possibility that salesdrafts can take days. ALL transactions are posted in largest to smallest order on the day received.

Rather than rejecting the purchase/debit, they will let it go through. Then they will charge you a $35 fee for all of the SMALLER transactions, rather than just making the larger transaction(s) have a fee assessed.
Wrong again! $35 fee is only charged after you have 3 NSF occurrences in a 12-month period. Nothing to do with the transaction being large or small. Once the transactions are authorized they must be paid.

This happened to me. I paid my electric bill ($200) online via my check card. Two weeks went by, and it still hadn't shown up in my BoA account. I thought maybe I didn't click "submit" or did something else wrong. My balance was showing up as having that extra $200, and I was about a day away from getting paid (direct deposit), so I used my debit card for some small purchases. I decided to keep that extra $200 cushion, just in case the power bill went through. Well...sure enough, it cleared the same day (showed up the next day, werid). I went $3 in overdraft, and was charged SIX $35 fees...rather than getting ONE fee for the largest transaction!
Your fault for using the funds you KNEW were allocated to the electric bill. An outstanding item should still be recognized as outstanding on your check register and you should go by that balance. Oh wait...you must not use a check register huh???:confused: Because if you did, you wouldn't have this issue.

So, I contacted the electric company, who said they rec'd my payment a week and a half prior! BoA held the transaction for a week and a half.
Again....not true.

There are thousands of consumer complaints about BoA all over the web. The Federal Reserve is currently investigating them for unfair practices.
BOA is the biggest bank it would seem logical that they would have these same types of complaints. It is evident that many people don't handle their banking with dilligence and responsibility.

I am moving my money to a credit union in a week.
Unless you change how you do your banking, your banking experience will be exactly the same. The only difference will be that now the credit union will be thanking you for the additional revenue stream that is generated by your NSFs and not BOA.

By the way...and if your latte from Starbucks ends up costing you $40 buck then you have no one but yourself to blame.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">