• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank of America Unauthorized credit check and Credit card issue.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mr.Stks

What is the name of your state? California.

I have only checking account with Bank of America, and never applied for any credit card, except using their check card since the day I opened the account around 3 years before.

On nov 21st, Bank of america credit checked with my ssn and issued a credit which I have not asked either in banking center, over phone, internet or in any other form. Similarly, they have issued a credit card fro my spouse. I came to know when I received my card by mail. Based on my friend's advice, I did a self credit check with all three bureaus and found Bank of America has made one credit check on Nov 21, 2006.

Similar incident happened six years before when I opened an account with bank of america in Jan 1999 and I got unwanted card by nov end, especially during the xmas holidays. I got wild and closed the credit card and all accounts with bank of america.

Now, I do not want to leave them, and would like take an official action against them for unauthorized credit checking, and fraudulently issuing credit cards, and deliberate attempt made on my credit history. I understand the motive behind their credit card issue as they people would silently accept the credit card during Xmas session for extra expenditure.

I sent an email to [email protected], and no reply, eternal silence.

I am filing complaints with office of the Comptroller of the Currency in next two days.

What should I do? Experts please guide me the options.

Mr.Stks.

Last edited:

moburkes

You have an account with them currently. They did NOT check your credit without your authorization. You gave them the authorization when you opened your account. It is standard for them o periodically check your credit report. I'd have to double check, but I don't even think it is a "hard" hit on your credit report, since you are already their customer.
Send them a letter in writing explaining that you do not want them to open credit cards in your name, unless you fill out an application.

Betty

I agree - my understanding is it is not a "hard" hit on your credit report when the bank "automatically" does a credit check as opposed to you requesting a credit card & then bank doing a credit check.

Mr.Stks

Thanks you Monurkes & Betty.

If they have checked during the time of opening the account, I do agree checking the credit. If they check my credit check just like that and did not issue any credit card, I agree.

This is opened three years before, how can they issue a credit card automatically after checking my credit. The credit card is not applied by me.

I have also received automatic credit reports from agencies telling me that my credits are checked recently and too many inquiries, and there was a drop of 28 points in my FICO score.

If this is the case, can they provide credit cards at will? I had accounts with three credit unions,2 mutual banks, and three broker aco****s, and two national banks. Except Bank of America no one has issued unwanted credit cards.

Supposing I kept all of the accounts open, if all of them sends there own credit cards at their own will after checking the credit, and where is my right to protect my credit history?

If you statements are true, I do not **** the way Bank Of America Behaves, and will close all my bank accounts with them once for all. Perhaps, thiis is what Bank of America needs.

Thanks again,
Mr.Stks

moburkes

Read that little "brochure" that you received when you opened your account. You gave them permission to review your credit report periodically. When you open that new bank account, you are giving that same permission to the new bank. You are correct in that most banks won't just issue you a card unless you apply for it.

You said that your score was lowered because of too many inquiries. However, more than likely the BoA inquiry didn't affect your score. The other companies that did the inquiries did. Companies with which you already have credit do NOT affect your score when reviewing your credit.

Call BoA, and talk to them. Call the other creditors and talk to them. Become a more informed consumer. Good luck.

bdancer

Are you sure what you received is an actual credit card and not a replacement debit card (check card)?

If you had a plain ATM card, the bank might have automatically send you a replacement debit card -- with Visa logo and looks just like a credit card. Debit cards take the money directly from your bank account when you use them.

I suggest you call the bank and ask why they sent you those cards. I'm pretty sure Bank of America has an 800 phone number and you can get it resolved right away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">