• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank gave out my info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rcag0408

What is the name of your state? Florida

Bank of America gave out my boyfriends information over the phone without verifcation. They told his mom that he had two credit cards that were each at $1500 without asking any information about who she was. Can we do anything about this? Is this illegal?

moburkes

What is the name of your state? Florida

Bank of America gave out my boyfriends information over the phone without verifcation. They told his mom that he had two credit cards that were each at $1500 without asking any information about who she was. Can we do anything about this? Is this illegal?
How do you know that they did this? Did she say that she was his wife? Did she create an online account to find the information? Did she speak in a deeper voice, pretending to be him? Is she s co-signer, or authorized signer on the account?

If it was illegal, you can report them to the government.

rcag0408

They called and said this is Bank of America may i speak to Robert(my boyfriend) and she said " hes not home can i help you with something" and BOA started telling her that he said two overdue credit cards amounting in more than $3000. She told my boyfriend and myself that she didnt say anything to the operator that would suggest she was anybody related to him or anything of that sort.

moburkes

They called and said this is Bank of America may i speak to Robert(my boyfriend) and she said " hes not home can i help you with something" and BOA started telling her that he said two overdue credit cards amounting in more than $3000. She told my boyfriend and myself that she didnt say anything to the operator that would suggest she was anybody related to him or anything of that sort.
She can report it to the government.

rcag0408

do we need proof that this happened? all we have is his mom word and the operators name. do you kno what kind of reparations my boyfriend can recieve?

Last edited:

Ladynred

Bank of America is the ORIGINAL CREDITOR, there is NOTHING to stop them from doing what they did and you, unfortunately, have no recourse whatsoever.

Veronica1228

Bank of America is the ORIGINAL CREDITOR, there is NOTHING to stop them from doing what they did and you, unfortunately, have no recourse whatsoever.
Actually, BoA violated the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act which mandates that all FIs must keep customer information confidential. However, the only recouse for the OP's boyfriend is to report BoA to the FDIC and they may be penalized.

The OP's bf will not see get any monetary rewards himself though.

Ladynred

I dunno Veronica, just telling his mother that he had 2 past due credit cards over $1500 sounds like typical collections activity. The OP didn't state whether or not they gave his mother actual confidential info on the BofA accounts. Unless you live in a state where the state version of the FDCPA includes original creditors, OC's can get away with all kinds of crap.

It would be nice if the GLBA could be used to fight collections, but in most cases and in most states, you can't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">