• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bank gave out my personal account info..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jenjclt

What is the name of your state? It happened in Indiana, I live in Ohio

Hello!
My rights were violated at my bank. My husband (who was never authorized on my account) was told my account balance. The teller (who knew my husband) also told him that I had transfered money from my checking to my savings. We are separated (but not legally). He was also given printed receipts showing my balance several different times after making a deposit (money for our daughter to shop for school). I did call and speak to the bank manager who spoke with the employee. This employee spoke to her good friend (co-worker) about the situation. Three days later, this 2nd employee TELLS my husband that I had called to complain to the manager about it. I was NOT sharing this information with my husband. THIS was also a violation of my privacy. I was outraged and called again. I played phone tag with a district manager who never phoned me back to speak about all of these violations of my privacy.

I would like advice on how to proceed. These laws were put in place for a reason and I believe they should be held accountable.

Should I contact the CEO? Should I file a formal complaint? If I did, to whom?
If I should seek legal advice, what type of attorney fits this situation?

I greatly appreciate any information you can give me!

Thanks,
Jennifer

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Was a "law" violated? Or was it a policy that was violated?

Ginny is correct though...you should find a new bank.

jenjclt

You may want to consider moving monies to a different bank.

Have you voiced your complaints in writing, or always verbally?

I have voiced my complaints only over the phone to a local bank manager. I played phone tag with the district manager who was asked to speak to me about the issue.

Yes, I will change banks. It's just such a huge inconvenience and then you have to start over as a new customer with a new "relationship"......which means they hold deposits and such. Not to mention all of the monthy payments drafts that will have to be changed over. I also didn't want to close the account until this issue was resolved. Maybe that's not such a good idea?

jenjclt

Was a "law" violated? Or was it a policy that was violated?

Ginny is correct though...you should find a new bank.

Yes, Ginny is correct. The law is the Right To Financial Privacy Act. A law is in place for a reason and if they are not held accountable, what's the point?

tranquility

There is almost assuredly a breach of the law under Gramm-Leach-Bliley. Maybe others, but that one for sure. (Assuming the facts as the OP posted them.) The FTC I believe has oversight of the Act. Go to their website for more. I don't think there is a private cause of action in the Act. But if a breach were to cause actual damages (Which I don't see in the OP's facts.) I bet a suit could be prosecuted on some theory or another.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, Ginny is correct. The law is the Right To Financial Privacy Act. A law is in place for a reason and if they are not held accountable, what's the point?
EDIT:
If anyone read my pre-edit reply, I apologize. I misunderstood jenjclt earlier response...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">