• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank has effectively stolen $600 from me and refusing to give back - recourse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hydrazine

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I have a business account with TD bank. I also have a PayPal account which provides me with a debit card. Sometimes, I will go to a TD bank ATM machine and withdraw cash and deposit it immediately into my TD bank account, effectively just transferring money from PayPal into TD Bank.

Some weeks ago, I withdrew $600 at a TD Bank ATM using my PayPal card, then when the transaction was finished, inserted my TD bank ATM card and deposited the funds. I got to the point where the machine opened the cash insertion door, I put the money in, it started counting the money - then displayed an error message on the screen and the only options shown was "cancel transaction'. No money was returned to me. I immediately called the bank the same day who told me the ATM's are serviced by a 3rd party and I needed to file a claim with the number on the back of my card, which I immediately did. They told me it would take 5-7 days. A week later I called and was told it takes 7-10 business days and there was no answer yet. I called one week later and was told there was no record of any claim being filed. They re-filed the claim and said they had records of me calling on the dates I said I had called, but no records of any claim, but now it was filed and would take 7-10 business days. I called today and they told me my claim was denied because there was no proof I was at the ATM machine on the day/time I claimed to have made the deposit.

The person I spoke to said they would re-file another claim, but did not expect any change in the outcome because she can see my full ATM card usage and there was no usage on the date I claim to have tried to deposit $600 in that machine. I know I used my TD Bank ATM card to initiate a deposit into my account and encountered an error part-way through, but never got my money back. I pointed out that there is incontrovertible proof that I was at the ATM in the form of video, taken by the ATM machine, of me standing in front of it on the date and time questioned, using that machine. They are in sole possession of that video and need only look at it to verify my claim - and should have already done so before denying my claim. I was told that such video is only pulled and looked at in extreme cases such as robberies, etc and since there was no record of me using my ATM card, my claim will likely be denied again.

It seems to me that this situation is very simple to solve. TD Bank has all the necessary information but are refusing to use it. They refuse to look at the video. They refuse to accept that their log of card usage could possibly not show my transaction, even if an error occurred during it. They have told me that even if extra money was found in the machine, that will not factor into my claim and my claim must stand on its own in the absence of whether any extra cash was found or not. It has now been about a month since the original loss, and they are telling me to wait another couple of weeks but not to expect anything to change.

I am wondering if I may be better just filing a small claims suit? I really do not mind taking the time to do so, but only if it would realistically lead to a resolution. Or would I be better off contacting the banking oversight regulators in my state (or is that a federal group?)? Or any other advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

justalayman

You have proof you used the PayPal ATM card, correct? You would have a receipt for that transaction.

If you sue and expect to win, you have to prove your claim. What proof do you have to support your claim?

hydrazine

You have proof you used the PayPal ATM card, correct? You would have a receipt for that transaction.

If you sue and expect to win, you have to prove your claim. What proof do you have to support your claim?
I can prove I withdrew $600 from that ATM machine using my PayPal card by showing the record of the transaction in my online PayPal account. This proves I was at the ATM machine on the day/time in question which negates TD Bank's claim I was never at the bank machine at that date/time. However, it does not prove I tried to deposit $600 into the machine using my TD Bank card.

However, I can show that I have done this numerous times in the past - withdrawn $600 from PayPal and immediately deposited it in my TD Bank account. Through a discovery process, if it were shown that the bank machine was over by $600 the subsequent time it was checked after I made that deposit, it would show that clearly an overage exists. Through that same process, if I could get the video, it would show me at the machine and, hopefully, have a wide enough angle to show me inserting two cards in the machine and inserting money into the cash deposit slot.

Massachusetts allows for discovery in small claims suits if the information being sought would help the court decide the case, which I believe in this situation it clearly would. And if I understand correctly, the standard of proof is "preponderance of evidence", which means more likely to be true than untrue, and I think that could be shown, especially if the ATM audit and video were allowed to be brought in through discovery.

I am curious if anyone has experience in anything close to this in Massachusetts small claims? Of course, the ideal result would be that the bank, upon being served, would look into the validity of the claim - realize the machine was over by $600, look at the video and see I was there, and at a minimum just give me back my money. I am not sure how realistic that is - perhaps they have a policy to always contest every suit regardless of its merit. Maybe someone has some ideas?

hydrazine

Yeah, never deposit cash in an ATM.

Now you know why.
That's as helpful as telling a woman who was raped not to wear a short skirt.

I figured that on a legal forum the qualifier that advice/suggestions be helpful or insightful was implicit, but perhaps I'm overestimating some of the contributors. My mistake, I guess.

justalayman

You need to figure out if the bank or the third party party that services the ATM is who you need to be chasing. It sounds like the bank may be without liability here. If that is the case, filing suit against the bank isn't likely to stir them to act to resolve this.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
That's as helpful as telling a woman who was raped not to wear a short skirt.

I figured that on a legal forum the qualifier that advice/suggestions be helpful or insightful was implicit, but perhaps I'm overestimating some of the contributors. My mistake, I guess.
No. No, its really NOT.

That's disgusting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">