• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank holding my deposit for 9 days

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bmega

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Bank holding all funds for nine business days, I deposited a check 8,000 dollars, and the teller told me some of the funds would be available right away then half in three days then the rest in five days.
When I got home, I got a call from the bank stating they had to put a hold on all funds for nine business days the reason was I never deposited a large check in the account before.
I have had a checking and savings account there for almost a year.

Can they legally do this?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

FlyingRon

Nope - not for the whole $8,000. OP should have $5k available by the 2nd business day after the deposit.
Which depending on how the poster counted it (and where the weekends and holidays fit into it) would be the three days he mentioned. It's possible he didn't litterally mean "half" (or that the check is for exactly $8000).

ETA: It's possible the bank is applying one of the exceptions to the deposit, which would put the OP at 7 business days + the weekend in between.
Yep, that's why I posted the link to the EFA wiki page rather than asking him twenty questions about how long the account has been open, yada, yada...

bmega

It has been 9 full business days I deposited check on 1/11/17 will be available 1/24/17
I have had this checking account since 2/16

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It has been 9 full business days I deposited check on 1/11/17 will be available 1/24/17
I have had this checking account since 2/16
Since you'll have your money tomorrow, it's really a bit late now...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">