• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank made a wire transfer error

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tdmansfield

Florida - A Bank in Tennessee made an error and sent a wire transfer into my checking account twice, and I was credited twice. It now shows as available funds in my checking account. Do I have a legal obligation to give the money back? I was told that my bank has to have my permission to send the money back.

Veronica1228

tdmansfield said:
Florida - A Bank in Tennessee made an error and sent a wire transfer into my checking account twice, and I was credited twice. It now shows as available funds in my checking account. Do I have a legal obligation to give the money back? I was told that my bank has to have my permission to send the money back.
The sending bank can recall that wire transfer also. Go ahead and spend it if you want to either have a huge hole in your account balance, or if you want to be sued by the sender. Is there no such thing as honesty anymore? Contact your bank and or the sender to straighten this out. Trust me, it doesn't hurt to be a good person for once!!!

Veronica1228

Response to your PM

Quote: "Screw you. Who said I wasn't honest. I see you are a banking officer and not a lawyer, so don't go commenting about legal issues. Banks screw people out of money EVERY single day and use EVERY single loophole to take money from people. YOU ARE WRONG. A bank CANNOT recall a wire transfer from an account. Not without the account holders consent. I have NO obligation to return the money. I see you like to comment on alot of peoples issues, and I see most of your comments have no merit. So I figure you are some FAT, lonely "banking officer" who has nothing better to do than get on the Internet on a Sunday and call people dishonest. You fat cheesehead!"

I don't usually respond to PMs, especially if you don't have the courage to say what you have to say in the open forum. I am not going to address your childish rant, just the parts that pertain to your issue.

A person who keeps money that does not belong to them is dishonest. Apparently, I have hit a sore spot here, or you would not have gotten so upset. Try going back on your meds that may help. Maybe your trailer home is a little close to the local dump. I can see how that would wreck anyone's mood.

By the way, the issuing bank CAN attempt to recall the wire. It is allowed. You would know this if you worked in the industry, or had an education beyond the 6th grade.

Go to hell you loser!!!

S

seniorjudge

Q: Do I have a legal obligation to give the money back?

A: Yes, otherwise it is felony theft.

S

seniorjudge

812.014 Theft.--

(1) A person commits theft if he or she knowingly obtains or uses, or endeavors to obtain or to use, the property of another with intent to, either temporarily or permanently:

(a) Deprive the other person of a right to the property or a benefit from the property.

(b) Appropriate the property to his or her own use or to the use of any person not entitled to the use of the property.

Read the rest of it here:

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0812/SEC014.HTM&Title=->2004->Ch0812->Section 014#0812.014

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">