• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank made a wire transfer mistake.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leesat

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA.

Korean bank in NY made an error and sent a wire transfer into my checking account twice. Should I give it back to them without asking compensation?
They need my permission to take it back but it is hassle to giving them a permission. Should I just be a gentleman?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Korean bank in NY made an error and sent a wire transfer into my checking account twice. Should I give it back to them without asking compensation?
They need my permission to take it back but it is hassle to giving them a permission. Should I just be a gentleman?
I don't think they even need your permission. How much of a hassle is it to sign a form? :rolleyes:

leesat

I don't think they even need your permission. How much of a hassle is it to sign a form? :rolleyes:
They said they need. I don't wanna go to the branch I use, and sign it because of there fault. They made a mistake and I'm the one to do something.
I thought they don't need my permission cus normally they pull the money out without asking.

btw they were desperately looking for my permission. I don't know why.

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
They said they need. I don't wanna go to the branch I use and sign it because of there fault. They made a mistake and I'm the one to do something.
I thought they don't need my permission cus normally they pull the money out without asking.
Go sign the paperwork. It's not your money. :cool:

Antigone*

You'd be a thief if you kept the money

tranquility

If they NEED your signature, you are giving up something by signing. Have them mail you the forms and then you mail them back.

If they need them notarized, have them send a mobile notary.

I would let things settle before doing anything other than notifying the bank you had nothing to do with it and you want to cooperate in any way reasonable. Since some scams work in this way, it is way better to wait to find out the reality of the situation rather than give back the money and then find it wasn't really there. It's much better to have others try to get money from you than you to try to get money from them.

leesat

If they NEED your signature, you are giving up something by signing. Have them mail you the forms and then you mail them back.

If they need them notarized, have them send a mobile notary.

I would let things settle before doing anything other than notifying the bank you had nothing to do with it and you want to cooperate in any way reasonable. Since some scams work in this way, it is way better to wait to find out the reality of the situation rather than give back the money and then find it wasn't really there. It's much better to have others try to get money from you than you to try to get money from them.
Thanks for the reply. I never thought about I'm giving up something for signing. It is not a scam I cheched it.
Thanks again : )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">