• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank Refuses to Release Vehicle Title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dawn1208

What is the name of your state? AZ

When living in South Dakota I took out a loan for a truck and also opened a credit card account with a locally owned bank.

Now that the truck is paid off they are refusing to release the truck title until the credit card is paid in full. Is this legal???

Who's Liable?

What is the name of your state? AZ

When living in South Dakota I took out a loan for a truck and also opened a credit card account with a locally owned bank.

Now that the truck is paid off they are refusing to release the truck title until the credit card is paid in full. Is this legal???
Yes, it's in the small print of your contract. Most small banks, and credit unions use this as a second layer of protection. If you were to default on your credit cards, they would have the vehicle as an asset they could sell to off-set the default.

I believe it's called "cross collateralization" which is why one should separate banks for loans.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">