• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank taking away our money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Steadfast52

The beginning of last month, we received a check for $2000 for a Shirley temple doll we were trying to sell. We cashed it at the bank, and spent the money. They somehow backdrew all the money, and the bank held us responsible. They took our entire monthly paycheck instead of working a solution out with us, then took $400 from our next one. Now they will not let us withdraw any money, even though they have already taken all the money they want. All of this has been done without our permission, and my grandmother has not been able to get her cancer medicine or go to the doctor, and now we're going hungry because they won't let us withdraw. Is any of this viable for a lawsuit?
I live in Morgan county of Alabama

Last edited:

CSO286

The beginning of last month, we received a check for $2000 for a Shirley temple doll we were trying to sell. We cashed it at the bank, and spent the money. They somehow backdrew all the money, and the bank held us responsible. They took our entire monthly paycheck instead of working a solution out with us, then took $400 from our next one. Now they will not let us withdraw any money, even though they have already taken all the money they want. All of this has been done without our permission, and my grandmother has not been able to get her cancer medicine or go to the doctor, and now we're going hungry because they won't let us withdraw. Is any of this viable for a lawsuit?
I live in Morgan county of AlabamaWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Your recourse is against the person who wrote you a bad check, not the bank.

FlyingRon

You never had that money. Do not confuse the bank making funds available to you with the check having cleared.

As stated, you overdrew your account on a bad deposit. Your only claim is with the person who wrote you the bad check.

swalsh411

I am sorry to hear this is happening to you but please realize the bank is not required to "work out a solution' with you. Now you may be a very honorable person but there are people who are not and they wouldn't pay it back.

Hot Topic

I live in Morgan county of Alabama
You aren't exactly being honest about the situation. Had you been smart, you would have waited to see if the check was good instead of rushing to cash it. They don't need your permission to deal with a bad check you were issued, cashed and spent.

The rest of your story reads like a bad made-for-television movie. Chances are that you're getting assistance of some kind, and that your family wasn't totally dependent on the money for the doll.

Just what were you intending to sue them with?

Just what are you intending to sue them with???

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">