• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank thinks they gave too much money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jojo99

nope never met the teller before, and she was new to the branch, and yes i still have the receipt from the withdraw.

I didnt take any offence nor did I think you were accusing me, I am simply looking for help, and was responding back. Im probably not the most social person so my apologies if i come off curt.

45Frank

As to why keep the cash on hand or in a safety deposit box is that most banks now when you try to withdraw large sums of money will tell you they need 24 hours notice or more. I used to do the samething. Even had a bank once tell me they didn't keep that much cash on hand. Yeah right.

Also had a bank nearly 25 years ago do just the opposit, saying I didn't deposit seven thousand dollars (sold a truck)into my acount and called me wanting me do bring back the bank book to change it. I refused and they said they would do it at their end anyway. They did after several weeks of holding up my money put it back in never saying anything but it was an internal error.
Never a letter or an I'm sorry nothing.

Last edited:

abaga

I worked in a bank, so please, allow me to chime in.

We are a bank, yes, however, we are not the US Mint and do not keep millions of dollars on hand as some would like to think. We too have to protect our safety and if we are going to keep millions of dollars on hand, even a million, we are risking our lives. Further, we try to order what we know we use weekly. There were times we would get non account holders coming in to cash large checks because their bank would only allow them to deposit the check if a hold was placed on it (Reg CC). This is either because their account was new or they do not know how to handle their account, so they would have to wait for the funds to clear. We would also get account holders that come in and need to w/d 20K-30K, which takes a lot of the money out of the bank.

Also, one thing I was taught years ago when I was a teller...if I am short and I know who I gave the excess money to, I was instructed to call that customer and say, "Mr. Jones, when you came in to the bank, I inadvertantly gave you too much money. I will need for you to bring that money in by x date." So, they may not be certain it is the OPs money, but hope s/he will just go ahead and bring in the money and call it a day!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">