+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    jojo99 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    9

    Bank thinks they gave too much money

    What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I went to the bank about a week ago and took out a chunk of cash. Well i got a call from the bank later that day and they said they think they gave me $2000 too much. Problem is i just go and put the money in a safe deposit box and generally dont count it.(i know stupid) but when i counted everything in my deposit box, i do not see how i could have an extra 2000 lying around in there since i know around what i normally keep.

    Well i called the bank 4 days later as they hadnt called and they said that the investigation department is looking into and should have a final answer today, the lady helping me said that they wont even let her see the video though, let alone me. So I would hate to rip somebody off, but I dont think i have an extra 2 grand in there. What right does the bank have to say thats our money give it back if they dont have proof or are unwilling to show me the proof? If its theirs then they can have it but at least show me the video. From my understanding the video is unclear.

    I need help. I dont think i can afford a 2k hit right now.

    let me know what you guys think or know.
    thanks
    Last edited by jojo99; 09-20-2007 at 05:38 PM.
  2. #2
    seniorjudge is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Odo of Cluny Parish
    Posts
    29,533
    Tell us what evidence the bank says it has that you got $2K too much.
    There are two rules for success:

    (1) Never tell everything you know.
  3. #3
    jojo99 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    9
    they say that they have reviewed the tellers cash counts, and from the video that it shows large "chunks" of cash being received. by me (my money)

    thats about all they will tell me.

    also i only withdrew 5k it wasnt like 20k or something.
  4. #4
    jojo99 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    9
    oh and they said i was the only one with a large withdraw, and that my transaction took awhile to do.
  5. #5
    seniorjudge is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Odo of Cluny Parish
    Posts
    29,533
    Then if the bank says you got $2K too much and you say you don't know how much you got, then who do you think a court would believe?
    There are two rules for success:

    (1) Never tell everything you know.
  6. #6
    jojo99 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    9
    The only thing I want to see it the evidence, but my main question is what if they are unwilling to show me the video? If they did give 5k instead of 7k and they want my own 2k then I feel I should get to see a video of them giving me more money.


    So what your saying is, regardless of if they bank gave me more money or not, the courts would take the banks side; unless I stated they only gave me the exact amount. Even if im not 100% positive?

    Im not trying to be rude, I appreciate your help, but I really just dont understand.
  7. #7
    seniorjudge is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Odo of Cluny Parish
    Posts
    29,533
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo99 View Post
    The only thing I want to see it the evidence, but my main question is what if they are unwilling to show me the video? If they did give 5k instead of 7k and they want my own 2k then I feel I should get to see a video of them giving me more money.


    So what your saying is, regardless of if they bank gave me more money or not, the courts would take the banks side; unless I stated they only gave me the exact amount. Even if im not 100% positive?

    Im not trying to be rude, I appreciate your help, but I really just dont understand.
    You're making this complicated when it is simple.

    Let's go over this again.

    I am the judge.

    The bank comes in and says, "Our stupid teller...who we fired, by the way...gave jojo99 $7K when he only had $5K in his account. So he owes us $2K."

    Me: "Do you have any video?"

    Bank: "Yeah. I mean, yes, Your Honor."

    (We all watch the video.)

    Me: "That's not real clear. It doesn't help you or hurt jojo99. Got anything else?"

    Bank: "Yes. Here is the reconciliation from the stupid teller's drawer."

    (We all look at the reconciliation.)

    Me: "Jojo99, you have anything?"

    You: "No, I don't know how much money I got from the stupid teller."

    Now...how do you think I am going to rule?
    There are two rules for success:

    (1) Never tell everything you know.
  8. #8
    jojo99 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    9
    ok, so I would make the assumption that they did not prove that they gave me the money. Therefore I am not responsible?


    Hopefully this is right, because I normally keep 4 to 5k in my deposit box and when I went to count it, I only had 9k and change.

    Thank you SeniorJudge
  9. #9
    seniorjudge is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Odo of Cluny Parish
    Posts
    29,533
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo99 View Post
    ok, so I would make the assumption that they did not prove that they gave me the money. Therefore I am not responsible?


    Hopefully this is right, because I normally keep 4 to 5k in my deposit box and when I went to count it, I only had 9k and change.

    Thank you SeniorJudge
    Assumptions are always dangerous...especially in your case.

    And, you are welcome.
    There are two rules for success:

    (1) Never tell everything you know.
  10. #10
    jojo99 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    9
    Once again thanks for your help.

    One last question, when the "investigation department" lets me know, if they do say I owe them 2k and are unwilling to show the video. What should my response be, and what should I start to do? Do they have the right to take it out of my account?

    I appreciate your help with this, and sorry for barage of questions that apparently are all asking the same thing.
  11. #11
    seniorjudge is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Odo of Cluny Parish
    Posts
    29,533
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo99 View Post
    Once again thanks for your help.

    One last question, when the "investigation department" lets me know, if they do say I owe them 2k and are unwilling to show the video. What should my response be, and what should I start to do? Do they have the right to take it out of my account?

    I appreciate your help with this, and sorry for barage of questions that apparently are all asking the same thing.
    From my understanding the video is unclear.

    So there is no need to see the video. It's a security thing. Stop obsessing on that video; since it doesn't help or hurt you, just forget about it.


    Q: Do they have the right to take it out of my account?

    A: Yes.
    There are two rules for success:

    (1) Never tell everything you know.
  12. #12
    jojo99 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    9
    would it be wise to take the majority of funds out my account and leave maybe around 600 dollars that way the request the money from me if they decide it was me?

    A buddy told me to do it but I figure I would ask someone from a neutral point of view.

    thanks
  13. #13
    xylene is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    St. Richard's
    Posts
    8,750
    What would be wise is to be more serious about cash handling.

    Did you receive a receipt for the withdrawal and do you have it?

    Just for the record, transfering thousands of dollars to a safety deposit box sounds might awkward. If you are dealing in some cash heavy business, I am still not clear how you are managing your cash hoard... if you don't count it...

    A 2K drawer shortfall... well... why don't you call the police. Beat em to the punch. Because receiving a 50 instead of a 20 is a mistake, but giving 7k instead of 5k is insider bank robbery.

    Are you sure the teller didn't pocket the cash?
  14. #14
    jojo99 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    9
    Im not some big cash handler, or drug dealer. Im nowhere near either of those, but I had to move money around recently and my count was off so i estimated until i had time to count everything. Coulda shoulda woulda. The point was If I did get it, I would like proof. I have no problem giving back their money if it is their money.

    Seniorjudge has helped tremendously and I think him/her, I now await the call from the bank.

    thanks for the advice.
  15. #15
    xylene is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    St. Richard's
    Posts
    8,750
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo99 View Post
    Im not some big cash handler, or drug dealer. Im nowhere near either of those, but I had to move money around recently and my count was off so i estimated until i had time to count everything. Coulda shoulda woulda. The point was If I did get it, I would like proof. I have no problem giving back their money if it is their money.

    Seniorjudge has helped tremendously and I think him/her, I now await the call from the bank.

    thanks for the advice.
    I didn't accuse you of anything. But you are going to be asked to account for the cash.

    You didn't anwer my question. So I ask again.

    Did you receive a receipt with the withdrawal amount of 5000 dollars on it and if so do you have it?

    If you did and do, I think you could be ok.

    Also, do you disagree with me that this dispute could escalate to a criminal matter? Do you know the teller? Ever have relations with them? Anything that could even be construed in that way?

Similar Threads

  1. Bank of America gave my money to some random doofus.
    By Rdfan130 in forum Banking & Credit Cards
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2008, 10:49 AM
  2. Bank gave my money to someone else
    By AlexandriaDumas in forum Banking & Credit Cards
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-29-2006, 04:40 PM
  3. my roomate gave notice,her boyfriend thinks he can stay...help
    By Scramkid86 in forum Landlord / Tenant Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2006, 10:29 PM
  4. He thinks I am money hungry
    By Loracs in forum Debt Collections
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-04-2005, 06:40 AM
  5. Bank Held My Money and Gave it To someone else
    By k10023 in forum Banking & Credit Cards
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 03:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.