• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bank wont cash official check from there own bank

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

offroadrob

im 4 months behind on my rent was living on settlement money from a car accident that left me unable to walk stand, walk for long periods of time 2 spine surgerys and stock market crash has pretty much crippled me finacially and now mentally. ex gf gave me money that she owed me and i recieved it as a official check also know as a cashiers check i tried cashing it from the institution from wich is was originated from and they refused. im about to be evicted and my ex gf lives like way far i also have other bills like electric and food. they told me the amount was too high for it to be cashed. they told me to open up an account and that would solve it or have my gf divide the check into 3 checks with lesser value and i could cash them all 3 same time. i fell they dont care about my situation. been waiting on disability to return my case but still nothing.talked to bank manager then called bank head corp office to no avail

Antigone*

im 4 months behind on my rent was living on settlement money from a car accident that left me unable to walk stand, walk for long periods of time 2 spine surgerys and stock market crash has pretty much crippled me finacially and now mentally. ex gf gave me money that she owed me and i recieved it as a official check also know as a cashiers check i tried cashing it from the institution from wich is was originated from and they refused. im about to be evicted and my ex gf lives like way far i also have other bills like electric and food. they told me the amount was too high for it to be cashed. they told me to open up an account and that would solve it or have my gf divide the check into 3 checks with lesser value and i could cash them all 3 same time. i fell they dont care about my situation. been waiting on disability to return my case but still nothing.talked to bank manager then called bank head corp office to no avail
Since you are not a bank customer, they do not have to cash that check. Since you will be walking out the door, they will have no recourse if there are issues with the check.

You do have the option of opening an account, or even cashing your check at a check cashing facility.

offroadrob

hmmm

would you open a bank account if you had no job? since the check is secured and from there corporation how hard would it be to check the validity so i can get on with my life the check was bought with cash.

racer72

would you open a bank account if you had no job? since the check is secured and from there corporation how hard would it be to check the validity so i can get on with my life the check was bought with cash.
Banks are suffering an epidemic of phony cashier's checks and have put policies in place to protect themselves. Limiting the size of the checks they will honor for cash is one of the policies.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What does that have to do with anything?
Open the account and deposit the check. Then, you can write checks to pay your bills.

Or, are you trying to avoid saying that you would like to keep this money from being taken by creditors who have judgments against you?

offroadrob

money runs out close account get charged smart. doesnt make sense to me i provided all my info and id i verified my half how come they cant verify there half. so i guess scammers should make phony official bank checks aka cashiers checks to agree with there policies so they can get away with it. Bank official checks are normally either cashier's checks (a check drawn by a bank, signed by a bank official, and drawn against the bank itself), or a teller's check (same as cashier's check, but drawn on an account at another bank).

They are almost never certified, since doing so doesn't add any value to the check itself.

A certified check is a bank customer's check that has been accepted by the drawee bank. That means the bank the check is drawn on has reviewed the check, and placed markings on the check (the word "certified" and a bank officer signature, normally) that mean the bank promises to pay the check when it is presented, unless it is altered.

So, certification means the drawee bank guarantees it will pay the check (assuming no one has messed with the payee or amount), which makes the certified check more acceptable than the drawer's uncertified check in things like real estate closings and other large-ticket transactions.

Once a customer's check has been certified, it can no longer be "stopped." Nor can stop payments be placed on cashier's or teller's checks. If the issuing or certifying bank refuses payment (except to a person against whom the bank reasonably believes it has a claim or defense), the bank can be subject to penalties (UCC §3-411).
got that from a site does it have any connection with my situation

offroadrob

that has nothing to do with it. i can manage my money the problem is its not being given to me. and im not gonna have a bank manage my finances. this money is gonna be used pretty quick for things i need until i do get a steady pay check every month. my credit is great and opening an account with no steady income is pretty retarded dont you think. it cost money to close an account. banks charge fees if i cant pay for those fees once the money is gone you think thats gonna help my credit

Antigone*

that has nothing to do with it. i can manage my money the problem is its not being given to me. and im not gonna have a bank manage my finances. this money is gonna be used pretty quick for things i need until i do get a steady pay check every month. my credit is great and opening an account with no steady income is pretty retarded dont you think. it cost money to close an account. banks charge fees if i cant pay for those fees once the money is gone you think thats gonna help my credit
No bank will manage this OP's finances but his Duxiana will work just fine:p.

Here is the bottom line ~ The bank is not required to cash your check. You want the cash, pay the fee at a check cashing facility. You also have the option of having your friend give you cash.

Country Living

Doggone it, Wire.... I was going to suggest the girlfriend give him cash. That should put his money management skills to good use.

offroadrob

if u give a bank cash and they write u a check and certify it and its made out to me they better cash it. thats theft they took money and refused secure it to its rightful target which is me. thats the bottom line

Antigone*

if u give a bank cash and they write u a check and certify it and its made out to me they better cash it. thats theft they took money and refused secure it to its rightful target which is me. thats the bottom line
WRONG ~ WRONG ~ WRONG ~ You are not their customer. That is the bottom line:cool:

offroadrob

wiring large some of money is a great way to get the full amount huh? paying cash to settle a debt is the best way to have proof of payment right? you all have great advice for my situation i will cherish it but i aint taking it to the bank. maybe i should take it to a lawyer that actually knows law

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You're an idiot. A bank is a place to keep your money. If there are any fees involved, it would be PURELY your own stupidity that causes them. Don't blame the bank if you can figure out when to stop writing checks.

And, for the record...my niece (who actually has moderate retardation) has a bank account and has NO problem avoiding overspending.

Jerk...

Mass_Shyster

Then go ahead and tell the bank that.

While you're at it, call the police and tell them that the bank stole your money.

Feel free to ignore all the good advice you've gotten here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">