• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bankruptcy still not discharged

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rkim

hi, i hope someone can help me..i live in calif. and filed bankruptcy on may 1991..i assumed that once you file and go to court that would be it and 7 yrs later it will be removed from my credit report..well i'm a little confused as to why my credit report still states that it has not been discharged..i have excellent credit right now and pretty much qualify for all the credit cards i apply for but every now and then they come back denied because of bankruptcy..can someone please tell me what i need to do..thank you!

tater_tot

First of all when were your bankruptcy papers dated for the discharge? Also, it can take up to 10 years for a bankruptcy to be completely removed off of your credit report after the discharge date. If some of the creditors have it showing that your bankruptcy was not discharged contact them and ask them to do something about it, because if that don't it may stay on your credit alot longer. Are they saying it has not been discharged or just haven't removed the blemish from your credit file? Let me know.

rkim

actually my credit report states no where of any dicharge date..and someone told me that it's suppose to have had a discharge date..so i'm assuming that it was never discharged..i didn't get any papers from the paralegal i went through..i never picked it up afterwards (stupid me) and i don't even remember where i went..it will be 10yrs. this june..do you think that regardless of getting it discharged or not it will be removed from my credit report?..i have no idea what i'm suppose to do..i was 20 yrs old and really didn't have a clue as to keeping all info. with me, so i can't tell you anything other than this..please help..thanx

tater_tot

Could be a sticky situation!

Well, I don't think your worst trouble is it coming off of your credit. If the bankruptcy was never discharged then I don't think it is over, which means you would never have filed bankruptcy legally. Which also means any of the creditors that you filed bankruptcy on could come back and make you pay the debts. Also which state did you file bankruptcy in?

bigun

Keep in mind though that the SOL has probably run on those debts. I'd lay low for awhile. Don't apply for any credit until over 10 years have passed and then check the reports again. In the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to see a lawyer about where you stand.

rkim

well i filed in calif. and it will be 10yrs. this june..but i have since gotten many many credit cards and got a car loan..so i've just since my bankruptcy slowly rebuilt my credit..i'm not even sure what discharge means exactly..i just assumed after going in front of the judge and he said that it's done, that would pretty much be the end of it..and when my paralegal told me to come pick up my file, i thought that it was just for my records and i don't really need them..so i've been pretty much living my life trying to rebuild..but i guess i was wrong..do you think that it will be removed from my credit regardless of discharge or not..since the time spane has been 10 yrs?..please respond..thanx.

bigun

Discharged means you completed Chapter 7 and your bk was approved. Are you saying you DID go before a judge and he said you were done? If so, you are offically bankrupt. But, Bk stays on your credit file for 10 years. So, in july or August, pull your file and see what it says. If you ever need a copy of the discharge or your petition, contact the Federal Court where you filed.

rkim

ok..i'll wait a couple of months and pull my credit report to see what it saids..thanks for your help!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">