• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being Sued By Collection Agency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Stephany

What is the name of your state?
Indiana
I received some papers in the mail stating I am being sued. It states it has been filed in my county's superior court but has no instructions of what I should do except I must answer the complaint in writing in twenty days. I do owe this money because of medical bills from 2 years ago. I was making monthly payments but fell on hard times and I stopped for a few months. The letter says I owe $3930.30 plus interest
from the date services were billed which comes to $675.13 plus court cost of $107.00. What does all this mean? I have to go to court? I don't want to go to court. What should I do?
Thank you,
Stephany

Ladynred

Well, unfortunately, unless you can call the attorney suing you and make a settlement agreement, you're going to HAVE to go to court. If you don't, they will win a default judgment and then they could garnish your wages, sieze your bank account, and any non-exempt property.

You MUST file your Answer to the Complaint, and deny something in your Answer, like you disagree with the balance or other charges. If there is no court date in the Summons you recieved, then you will probably get on once you file your Answer and then you must go to court. If you don't settle before court, you may be offered a settlement before you go before the judge.

Going to court sucks, but in unless you can settle before, you're going to have to go or they win automatically, and you have no chance to negotiate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">