• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being sued by collection agency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Csthreatt

What is the name of your state? California

being sued by a collection agency. hospital bills from 1999,2000,2001. I last paid on the one from 1999 on 4/2001. I received a summons today the total 1274.47 plus 318.61 in attorneys fees. I'm not working. Think I'm about to be hired. Full time student. What are my options. Think its too late to make payment arrangements:p Help Please

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Csthreatt said:
What is the name of your state? California

being sued by a collection agency. hospital bills from 1999,2000,2001. I last paid on the one from 1999 on 4/2001. I received a summons today the total 1274.47 plus 318.61 in attorneys fees. I'm not working. Think I'm about to be hired. Full time student. What are my options. Think its too late to make payment arrangements:p Help Please

My response:

Yeah, it's just a little too late to make payment arrangements with the creditor. They tried that with you already, and you breached your contract (read as, "You can't be trusted to keep your promises")

However, when you lose the lawsuit, ask the judge to place you on a "court ordered" payment schedule. Then, you'll get payments. But, if you miss one payment, then you're in contempt of court, and the creditor can take other steps against you to get all of their money, plus interest, court costs and attorney's fees, all at once!

Good luck.

IAAL

Csthreatt

wow!!! that was harsh... (but true) ok, thanks for the advice .....

I'll take advice from others too PLEASE.. I need all the advice I can get ... any others???

Ladynred

You CAN make an offer for settlement and/or payments to the suing attorney before your court date. However, be aware that an offer of $50 a month is likely going to be flat-out refused - it would take too long for you to pay it off at that rate and they want money NOW. Considering that they'd likely get much more per month with a garnishment after judgment, your offer is going to have to be at LEAST that much (25% of your net pay).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">