• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buro's misused my private informations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kulisa

Admin please move to correct category if necessary.

Phhh where to start - well here is my dilemna.

In 2013 I lived in FL and shared a home address with my boss.
In 2015 I moved to different state.

My roommate had a very low score,
I decided to help by adding him to my credit cards - all of them shipped to my current non-FL address.
Year later I get contacted by my boss inquiring as to why is a debt collector sending collection notices addressed to my roommate (for debts dating back to 2010) to his FL residence.
I filed a complaint about the collector with FTC and they replied they will cease sending notices there and that they received this information from a third party.
I requested they disclose who is the third party, they never respond. I assume they received the address from credit buros. My roommate pulled out his report and confirmed all 3 report list FL as one of his address. He never lived in FL ! All the credit cards that were issued to him were mailed to my current state of residence.

I'm so angry because I feel that my privacy was completely violated and I can't find any answers as to how to defend myself from others stealing and distributing my private information. I have lost credibility in my boss' eyes because of my association with people who have less than perfect credit, unlike him and I. We both have credit around 800....

Any advise would be greatly appreciated !

Proserpina

I decided to help by adding him to my credit cards - all of them shipped to my current non-FL address.
Year later I get contacted by my boss inquiring as to why is a debt collector sending collection notices addressed to my roommate (for debts dating back to 2010) to his FL residence.
I filed a complaint about the collector with FTC and they replied they will cease sending notices there and that they received this information from a third party.
I requested they disclose who is the third party, they never respond. I assume they received the address from credit buros. My roommate pulled out his report and confirmed all 3 report list FL as one of his address. He never lived in FL ! All the credit cards that were issued to him were mailed to my current state of residence.

I'm so angry because I feel that my privacy was completely violated and I can't find any answers as to how to defend myself from others stealing and distributing my private information. I have lost credibility in my boss' eyes because of my association with people who have less than perfect credit, unlike him and I. We both have credit around 800....

Why does your boss know anything about your credit score?

single317dad

- Your personal information, including address and known associates, are used by your creditors to collect the debt you owe. Sometimes an error is made; you can write the bureaus to have them correct these errors.

- If you have joint credit accounts with someone and the accounts are in collections, then you don't have perfect credit anymore.

My ex-wife kept my last name when we divorced in 2006. Ten years later, she still gets credit offers at my current address where she has never lived or even visited. I simply accept the fact that we're permanently associated due to my decision to marry her and I toss the mail in the trash.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not related to credit but, yesterday I talked to my former housemate. She and I have not shared a house since she got married in 2004; both she and I have moved and changed our phone numbers at least once since then. Nonetheless, she told me that I had gotten a phone message, on her phone number, at her house; I have never lived at that address and her current phone number has never been mine. The associations are out there; it's a very small world.

I still don't understand why your boss has access to your credit score and why. And if you are "losing credibility" with him because not everyone in your world has a perfect credit score, that really doesn't speak particularly well of either of you.

kulisa

"And if you are "losing credibility" with him because not everyone in your world has a perfect credit score, that really doesn't speak particularly well of either of you." - this comes from a Senior Member...Really ? Speaks volumes...

As the accountant of the company with access to operating accounts, it helps to maintain certain amount of trust and credibility with the owner.
Part of my job is to discuss the company finances, and quite frequently so, and yes my boss also knows my credit score because we discussed it when I paid off my mortgage 7 years early and as a thank received a 15 points drop, which was rather shocking to me.
Hope this answers your concerns......

I came here for a legal advise as the forum name implies, so far it seems I ended up in a chat room of immature teenangers who have plenty of time on their hands and nothing better to do than to troll forums.... If you can not offer legal advice or contribute a relevant comment, please don't comment at all.

To clarify - not married to my roommate and not joint accounts either, he was simply added to my credit cards as authorized user to boost his credit.

Last edited:

Proserpina

"And if you are "losing credibility" with him because not everyone in your world has a perfect credit score, that really doesn't speak particularly well of either of you." - this comes from a Senior Member...Really ? Speaks volumes...

As the accountant of the company with access to operating accounts, it helps to maintain certain amount of trust and credibility with the owner.
Part of my job is to discuss the company finances, and quite frequently so, and yes my boss also knows my credit score because we discussed it when I paid off my mortgage 7 years early and as a thank received a 15 points drop, which was rather shocking to me.

I came here for a legal advise as the forum name implies, so far it seems I ended up in a chat room of immature teenangers who have plenty of time on their hands and nothing better to do than to troll forums.... If you can not offer legal advice or contribute a relevant comment, please don't comment at all.

To clarify - not married to my roommate and not joint accounts either, he was simply added to my credit cards as authorized user to boost his credit.
Be sure to collect your refund on the way out.

You're welcome.

single317dad

Your statements here tell me that you do not truly understand how your credit rating works.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I stand by my answer. If you choose to divulge your credit score to your boss, that's on you. But it is unreasonable and unrealistic for either of you to expect that everyone you know and associate will have a perfect score, and for him to hold you accountable for the credit scores of other people is even less so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">