• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

C.C.company attached my checking account...how does this work?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

o4petesake

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
I got an email from my bank saying I was overdrawn.
I checked "on line" and found a debit named :attached withdraw and another debit called :service charge...$125.00
I had a c.c. company obtain a judgment on me and agreed to $150.00 per month,I missed one month about four months ago and sent them an extra $50.00 with last payment....well c.c.company drained my account of $1086.00 and put me in arrears of about $300.00.
When I called the collection agency they said because I missed a payment all my other payments are considered "late" and therefore I've defaulted on our repayment agreement.Now that they took everything in my account is my account now "unfrozen" or is my daughter's S.S. check(I'm her payee and guardian)in jeopardy(she lives in a group home)?
My pay check is auto-deposit along with my daughter's S.S. check,will they be siezed also?...help!

Last edited:

single317dad

I strongly suggest you read thoroughly this site from the Michigan Bar Foundation. Understanding the information on this site will be quite useful to you.

http://michiganlegalhelp.org/self-help-tools/consumer/overview-garnishment

http://michiganlegalhelp.org/self-help-tools/consumer/overview-garnishment

The garnishee holds the money for 28 days. This is so you have time to object to the garnishment. If you do not file an objection with the court, the garnishee will give the money to your creditor.
Generally, money from these sources cannot be garnished:

Social Security benefits and disability payments
Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments
Student loan disbursements
VA Benefits
General Assistance Benefits
Family Independence Program (FIP) grants
Food Assistance Program (FAP)
Electronic Benefits Transfers (EBT)
State Disability Assistance
Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs)
Student loans, grants, or work assistance
Unemployment Compensation benefits
Worker’s Compensation benefits
Cash value of life insurance policies that are payable to your spouse or children
Income benefits under the Michigan Civil Service Act
Income benefits under the Michigan Retirement Act
U.S. Civil Servant Retirement benefits
Pensions covered by ERISA
There are some exceptions to that list. For example:

Social security disability and retirement benefits can be garnished to pay federal taxes, child support, and alimony;
SSI payments can’t be garnished under any circumstances;
Pension income can be garnished once it’s in your bank account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">