• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an Ambulance co. do this to me???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cupcars

Oklahoma - My niece was a passanger in an automobile accident (I'm legal guardian of her) The Ambulance company has turned my bill over to a collection agency. It has shown up on my credit report as negative saying I did not pay this bill.

I have received a summons from a Lawyers office (hired by the insurance company), The purpose of this is because the person at fault insurance (the driver of the car my niece was in) has only coverage of $20,000 for an accident and there was about 7 people involved. The insurance company is going to let a Judge divide up the money.

All those involved including myself are listed as "Defendants", This includes the other insurance companies, the hospital, and the Ambulance company. Each of us had to write a letter stating who we were and list all of the charges ( Hospital, Ambulance, etc..) we were seeking payment for. This letter then had to be filed at the Court Clerk's office and a copy sent to the Insurance companies Lawyers office.

I also have a form letter from the Ambulance company stating:

<i>Dear Patient,

Please note that as a routine procedure that is required by many insurance companies and Attorneys in the settlements from accidents, we have filed a lien with you insurance company and/or attorney. Many times the doctors offices and hospitals will also have to file them.

Please also note that this lien is not on your home or other personal property but only on the settlement from the accident from the accident and covers only the amount of your bill.</i>

My question is, since they have filed a lien with the insuance company and are listed on the Law suit for payment then do they have the legal right to file this on my personal credit report for non-payment of funds.

JETX

From your post, it appears that the ambulance company might have been a little premature in posting to your account, but they are not prohibited from doing so, if the report is accurate.

In accordance with the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act), you have the right to add your comments to the file also. For a copy of the FCRA, click on http://www.ftc.gov/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">