• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can charge ex with Grand larceny

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ellepink

What is the name of your state? New York state
I just returned from the police precinct: my exfiancee could be charged with grand larceny for opening two accounts in my name without my awareness if I decide to go ahead and press charges.
There are 3 accounts: 1) I was primary and he was an authorized user on MBNA account which is now maxed at very high amount; 2) MBNA account that he opened without my awareness, with a $7500 credit limit which he used for balance transfers only, the first fraudulent account; 3) An HSBC account opened again without my awareness, maxed at $7500 also used for balance transfers only. He has been making the small minimum monthly payments on the second accounts but they have now been closed with fraudulent alerts posted to them. I have closed my original MBNA account which now has huge debt completely accumulated by him, with an interest rate around 12%. (Thanks for the great advice here, I obtained my 3 credit reports and found these other 2 accounts!) I live in NY, exfiancee lives in Las Vegas, NV. I am wondering how to proceed. I want him, obviously, to repay the money he owes on the huge debt with MBNA (he stopped making payments in 1/06) so interest adding rapidly now! Afraid if I press charges, I will still be held liable for this huge debt of his! Is there any possibility that MBNA would be more lenient with this debt due to obviously fraudulent behavior acknowledged with this other account? Any suggestions, ideas welcome!!! Thanks...

Debt Guy

This is called identify theft. It is a crime.

If you don't file the police report, the credit card company is going to hold you responsible for the debt and will expect you to repay the debt. You can file all the fraud reports you want with the credit card company but they are not going to relent on you until you attach that police report to the fraud report.

It is not your call whether or not he is prosecuted. The DA will make that decision based on whether on not they think they can get a conviction.

By the way, see that key over toward the right side of the keyboard -- the one marked "enter". Hit it every once in a while. It is really hard to read when you type a big glob of words with ideas all jammed together in a great big long string.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">