• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a credit card user become a "join account holder" w/o permission?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

damijim

Hi,
Target Visa is claiming that a friend I added to my account is a joint account holder. Therefore, I cannot remove him. I'm told, "You would have to close your account and re-open a new account. I've asked for proof that he signed as a joint account holder about 3 times now; they say they'll send a copy of the application. I'm certain he did not sign as a joint account holder as I didn't really know him when I applied. I missed a payment and it's hurting his credit now.

So:
1) If they continue to not provide proof, what do I do to have him removed?
2) Isn't this illegal for them to do w/o his permision?
3) Is an authorized user responsible for the debt on my card?

Thanks!What is the name of your state?

ecmst12

An authorized user should NOT be responsible for the payments or have his credit affected in any way. Talk to a supervisor...or even better close the account since why would you want to give your money to a company with such poor customer service?

No. 5

An authorized user should NOT be responsible for the payments or have his credit affected in any way.
An authorized user is not responsible for payments.

But it can and will affect his credit since the tradeline for that account is added to his credit report.

And as Target already said, the only way to get an authorized user off the account is to close the account. Them's the ropes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">