• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a creditor seize a life insurance policy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Big Mac

This comes from Georgia. Can a creditor seize a life insurance policy for its cash value to satisfy a judgement? I tried to get an answer to this a few days ago and nobody responded. Thanks in advance.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Big Mac said:
This comes from Georgia. Can a creditor seize a life insurance policy for its cash value to satisfy a judgement? I tried to get an answer to this a few days ago and nobody responded. Thanks in advance.
My response:

Yes. A contingent interest, such as life insurance and it's current cash value, may have a lien placed against it up to the value of such insurance cash value. Then, the judgment creditor files a motion to have the court make its orders to have the insurance company pay the judgment.

IAAL

B

buddy2bear

I think they can do that only if you are the owner and insured of the policy. If you are the insured and someone else owns the policy, i.e., parents, then I don't think they can touch it. I offer this opinion based on experience. 23 yr old son filed for bankruptcy, but we, as parents are the owners of his life insurance policies (took them out at "zero" age because it keeps premiums low for lifetime). They were unable to touch them because of this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">