• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i be arrested for not paying credit card debt??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jsf

I live in Rhode Island an old credit card bills which is about $1600 that I did not pay, which is about 4-5 years old. Lately, I have been getting letters from the local law office for months to contact them regarding the debt. Now i'm actually getting getting a couple of sticky note stuck on my door, stating to call them which is a local number to schedule a state trooper to serve me, and i finally received a sticky note stating if i do not call within 24 hours, they will take alternative actions. I'm not sure what i should do, should i call them or wait it out until i save enough money or call them?

Can they get a arrest warrant for me or show up at my work place to serve me??

I'm pretty sure, i'll probably get sued and have to pay for the court fees and their lawyer fees. I can't afford an attorney. Also, what can they do to me? If they put a judgement against me, what happens?

K'Ta

jsf said:
I live in Rhode Island an old credit card bills which is about $1600 that I did not pay, which is about 4-5 years old. Lately, I have been getting letters from the local law office for months to contact them regarding the debt. Now i'm actually getting getting a couple of sticky note stuck on my door, stating to call them which is a local number to schedule a state trooper to serve me, and i finally received a sticky note stating if i do not call within 24 hours, they will take alternative actions. I'm not sure what i should do, should i call them or wait it out until i save enough money or call them?

Can they get a arrest warrant for me or show up at my work place to serve me??

I'm pretty sure, i'll probably get sued and have to pay for the court fees and their lawyer fees. I can't afford an attorney. Also, what can they do to me? If they put a judgement against me, what happens?
You won't be arrested for not paying your debts. Debtors prisons have long been abolished in this country. However DON'T IGNORE THIS! CALL THEM RIGHT NOW. You need to be served so you can take the next step which is filing your answer with the court.

If they get a judgment, depending upon RI's laws, they can attach your property, bank accounts, garnish wages and (again depending on state laws) can renew the judgment indefinitely so even if you have nothing NOW if you buy a house or car or have money in the bank in the future, they can get it.

Take care of this. It's not going away and the longer you continue to ignore it, the higher the amount you have to pay is going to go. That 1600.00 debt is probably at least doubled by now and it's only going to get bigger. Do what you have to do, get a second (or 3rd) job, beg, borrow, whatever you have to do to pay this off ASAP.

Ladynred

Ok. First of all they don't make appointments to serve you a summons and I'm pretty sure no STATE TROOPER would serve a summons, It is a TACTIC to scare you. A LOCAL cop or process server, possible a 'constable' would not be looking for you to call, they'd just come to your door !!

If you want to find out if these notes are garbage, call your local courthouse and find out if a real lawsuit has been filed. If there is one on file, then you MUST do something, if not, then you know they're full of horse hockey !

You need to determine EXACTLY how long it's been since you last paid the original creditor. Pull your credit reports, see what's on them for date of last activity etc. I"m going to assume you don't have any REAL records of the account, checks or anything.

You also need to read and get familiar with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), which you can find at www.ftc.gov.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">