• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue Citimortgage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

isaacheung

I live in California and the agency who I have been contacting is in Michigan.

I currently have a mortgage with CitiMortgage. I was solicited by CitiMortgage to reduce my interest rate from 5.85% to 5%. Instead of making the adjustment internally as they did before, they made me go through a tedious loan refinance application with $800 application fees. When I spoke to them on the phone for pre-qualification I specifically asked them how good the chance of getting it approved and the answer was very positive. After a month of tedious document submission back and forth they finally declined my application.

Question: Can I sue them to get my $800 back?

By the way, CitiMortgage is very sneaky now. They promised me to give me a credit card with one year interest free with the application. But I got another letter from their credit card department few days later saying my credit card application was declined because they could not verify my employment. They requested me to provide tons of document that normally you won't need for credit card application such as few years of tax returns. Just for you info. Don't deal with this company because they are not very honest.

HomeGuru

I live in California and the agency who I have been contacting is in Michigan.

I currently have a mortgage with CitiMortgage. I was solicited by CitiMortgage to reduce my interest rate from 5.85% to 5%. Instead of making the adjustment internally as they did before, they made me go through a tedious loan refinance application with $800 application fees. When I spoke to them on the phone for pre-qualification I specifically asked them how good the chance of getting it approved and the answer was very positive. After a month of tedious document submission back and forth they finally declined my application.

Question: Can I sue them to get my $800 back?

By the way, CitiMortgage is very sneaky now. They promised me to give me a credit card with one year interest free with the application. But I got another letter from their credit card department few days later saying my credit card application was declined because they could not verify my employment. They requested me to provide tons of document that normally you won't need for credit card application such as few years of tax returns. Just for you info. Don't deal with this company because they are not very honest.
**A: what paperwork did you sign or agree to for them to process the $800 application fee?

HomeGuru

A loan application (agreement) more like a HUB-1 was what I signed.

But they sent their appraiser to my house even before I signed the agreement.
**A: don't you mean HUD-1? A HUB-1 is signed at Pep Boys.
And the $800 fee is nonrefundable correct?

isaacheung

**A: don't you mean HUD-1? A HUB-1 is signed at Pep Boys.
And the $800 fee is nonrefundable correct?
I am sure CitiMortgage's document must have all the protection for them. My point is: they lured me into applying the refinance with sales talk and then declined me. They are my current mortgage provider and they should have known whether I qualified or not. My payment record with them has been super. My credit score is super too, 810.

HomeGuru

I am sure CitiMortgage's document must have all the protection for them. My point is: they lured me into applying the refinance with sales talk and then declined me. They are my current mortgage provider and they should have known whether I qualified or not. My payment record with them has been super. My credit score is super too, 810.
**A: then file a complaint with BBB, ripoff report, state consumer protection office etc.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So, all-in-all, this is just a rant, right? I mean, you KNOW that Citi's butt is covered, right?

isaacheung

OP couldn't verify his employment...I see nothing scammy here.
They couldn't verify my employment only on the credit card portion. The credit card was a bait for me to apply. They never called to verify my employment and that's for sure.

On the refinance portion they asked me to provide tons of documents; bank statements, tax returns, rental lease agreements, business tax, etc. They didn't tell me my app. was declined until I ask. So far no phone call, no letter yet. Only an email.

isaacheung

So, all-in-all, this is just a rant, right? I mean, you KNOW that Citi's butt is covered, right?
I need to double check that. I sent them the agreement without keeping a copy for myself. I thought the process would be swift as I was promised.

isaacheung

Your employment couldn't be verified...don't you get it? You didn't qualify for the loan. Period.
No, you don't get it. The employment has nothing to do with the mortgage. It's a credit card application they promised they would give to me if I applied for the loan. My point is they gave such ridiculous reason to reject that application when they didn't actually call to verify proves that they had no intention to give out anything they had promised.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">