• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be sued for closing a joint account?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jester606

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona.

If someone owes me money and we have a joint account with money in it, that I closed and kept the money, can they sue me for the money. He says the money was supposed to be used for something else, but he owes me over $50,000.00 and I only took out $4,500.00. Will I get in trouble for this?
Thank you in advance.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona.

If someone owes me money and we have a joint account with money in it, that I closed and kept the money, can they sue me for the money. He says the money was supposed to be used for something else, but he owes me over $50,000.00 and I only took out $4,500.00. Will I get in trouble for this?
Thank you in advance.
Ecmst is right about anyone suing for anything, but if it was a joint account you both owned the account. He will have a hard time proving otherwise.

jester606

Thank you both! I do appreciate the replies and both made me see things from all sides. I just want what is mine and don't want to get in trouble for taking it****************************...I've been a sucker too long.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">