• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can not get housing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CA

I have two jugdements against me from a housing leasing agency for an eviction. I was judged against twice for the same incident. Once by the leasing company and then once by the property. After satisfying all debts, I still have the judgments on my credit and I can not get into an apartment or even buy a house.

What can I do? The judgements were in 2000.

:confused: :( :confused:

Ladynred

Did you get a letter of satisfaction from the judgment creditors when the judgments were paid ?

If not, write them a letter and get them. Then take those letters to the courthouse and make sure that the judgment has been updated as 'satisfied'.

How does the judgment show on your credit report ?

You're probably going to have to look for properties being rented by individuals, you can usually get a nicer place for less money than a commercially-run place anyway.

I only have a signed receipt stating that I paid. We agreed to a different amount then the judgment, but my receipt says paid infull. Is there no way I can have these judments removed? Currently they are still showing that I owe the amount of the judment.

Ladynred

Write a letter and ask them for a 'letter of satisfaction', doesn't have to be much, just a statement that the judgments were, in fact, satisfied, paid in full, the date and their signatures. Take it the signed letters to the court and make sure it gets recorded as satisfied. You can try taking the receipts to the courthouse, but that may not be enough.

Once it gets recorded at the courthouse as 'satisfied', you should be able to dispute the entry on your credit report, they'll verify it with the public record, and it will either be deleted or updated to show that its paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">