• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a person who sued me freeze my account?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kurtcobain

Hasn't your attorney explained to you the impact of a Section 362 automatic stay order? Immediately upon the filing of your petition that stay order went into effect. Meaning that creditors of the debtor in bankruptcy can’t budge without first petitioning the bankruptcy court and receiving an order removing or lifting the stay.

It’s like a temporary injunction that freezes them in their tracks and violating it puts them deep in the soup!

If you’ve attempted this complicated process without an attorney, then you too are in the soup. You could pay most of your attorney’s fees through the Chapter 13 Plan with no additional cost to you.
This suite happened AFTER my chapter 13 - hence my question. He is NOT a creditor, but a regular person trying to sue me for slander.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">