• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can they send to collections when you are making payments?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cstandeford

We now live in Kentucky...debt was incurred in Indiana....My husband and I have recently relocated to Kentucky from Indiana. We have a $1300.00 gas bill from our LP gas provider in Indiana. I made arrangements with the local office to make payments of $25.00 per month as I am not working, our house in Indiana has not yet sold, plus we have a land contract in Kentucky, two vehicle payments..etc...I cannot afford to make a bigger payment at this time. They have accepted 2 payments of $25.00 as of this date. I have been getting demand letters (two) from the corporate office and I have spoken to them on the phone. They are saying that $25.00 is not enough and are demanding the balance in full or it will be sent to collections. I told them that if they wanted to pay a portion of my payment to a collection agency then to go ahead and send it to collections. What i need to know is if they can legally send it to collections while I am faithfully attempting to pay the debt?

bigun

Yes, they have the right to send you to collections at any time. The question is will they? I doubt it. As you point out, they won't get the money any faster. If you could afford to send a bit more that may help their feelings with a promise to pay the balance when your house sells.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">