• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car repo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angrywoman666

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas
I have a credit card and a car loan with a local credit union. I recently lost my job and have fallen behind on payments. I've been focusing on making the car payments instead of the credit card right now. I'm three months behind on the credit card payment, and the collections woman at the credit union flat out told me they are going to repo my vehicle unless I pay on the credit card. Can they legally do that?

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas
I have a credit card and a car loan with a local credit union. I recently lost my job and have fallen behind on payments. I've been focusing on making the car payments instead of the credit card right now. I'm three months behind on the credit card payment, and the collections woman at the credit union flat out told me they are going to repo my vehicle unless I pay on the credit card. Can they legally do that?
What does your car contract say?

Google "Right of Set-off". There is likely language in one of the credit union documents you signed that looks similar to this. It's often called "Agreements and Disclosures"

LIEN IMPRESSMENT AND SET-OFF. You agree that We may impress and
enforce a statutory lien upon Your Accounts with Us to the extent You owe Us
any money and We may enforce Our right to do so without further notice to You.
We have the right to set-off any of Your money or property in Our possession
against any amount You owe Us. The right of set-off and Our impressed lien
does not extend to any Keogh, IRA or similar tax deferred deposit You may have
with Us. If Your Account is owned jointly, Our right of set-off and Our impressed
lien extends to any amount owed to Us by any of the joint Owners
Essentially what is says is "one-tie, all tie" - if you default on one account, you've defaulted on the others. Your best chance is to work things out before they repo you. Look at the bright side, at least they warned you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">