• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cashier error

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angies1568

What is the name of your state?South Carolina

made a cash deposit through drive up window (not atm) for 70.00....apparently cashier processed it through for 700.00 instead....now cannot locate my receipt (it was couple of weeks ago)....am i obligated to repay? how long (if ever) before bank catches this and what are my options?

Veronica1228

angies1568 said:
What is the name of your state?South Carolina

made a cash deposit through drive up window (not atm) for 70.00....apparently cashier processed it through for 700.00 instead....now cannot locate my receipt (it was couple of weeks ago)....am i obligated to repay? how long (if ever) before bank catches this and what are my options?
I'm surprised that the bank hasn't caught it by now, but believe me they will. I suggest you notify the bank that they credited your account with the wrong amount now before you are tempted to use any of it. Otherwise, they will debit it even if the funds are no longer in your account and put you into the negative. You will wind up with all kinds of fees and collection problems.

angies1568

cashier erro

got your reply - but really tempting...don't they check every night? been over a week now....and if i am able to locate the receipt and it does say 700.00 deposited instead of the 70 i gave them - am i then able to keep the money? whose to say the teller did not pocket the rest? any advice would be helpful - thanks!

Veronica1228

angies1568 said:
got your reply - but really tempting...don't they check every night? been over a week now....and if i am able to locate the receipt and it does say 700.00 deposited instead of the 70 i gave them - am i then able to keep the money? whose to say the teller did not pocket the rest? any advice would be helpful - thanks!
Angie, I already told you what to do and what will happen if you keep the money. Not only that, but that money does not belong to you. Why do you think you are entitled to it? Why are you so comfortable with a teller losing their job? What if she has children to feed?

Give the money back. Why is it so hard to do the honest thing?

Angie.. listen to Veronica!

That extra 610.00 is NOT yours, and you will be in a HEAP of trouble if you refuse to face the FACTS.

Simple errors happen all of the time.. the teller is HUMAN (*you* do make mistakes too, right??)

Look at my thread, the opposite happened to use 10 days ago:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=258899

however, now we have an extra 300.00 deposit in our account that the bank needs to remove because they gave us back triple the amount instead of only once.

YES, it is the BANK's error - but it is still NOT "your money" (or in our case, "ours")!

BUT, I am not stupid enough to spend that extra 300.00 when it may end up causing me more headaches. Gee, a sudden windfall.. NOT!

Please do the right thing, contact the bank, and ask them to review all of your records and take back the extra funds. If you go online, you will probably be able to get a front & back view of the deposit slips.

wayne-o

geez.....Think about it, if you deposited $700 and the bank only gave you credit for $70 and you couldn't find your deposit slip. would you want them to give you your money back? And even if you cant find your deposit slip, they will eventually find the one that you filled out that said $70.

aamom

Gee, last time that I checked, taking money that doesn't actually belong to you is considered theft. Do the right thing and tell the bank what happened.

angies1568

Cashier Error

Geez Guys, I Did Not Take The Money!!! They Gave It To Me In My Account In Error....however, I Spent Over An Hour In The Bank On Friday Trying To Tell Them That It Was Not Mine....says It Will Take Them Awhile To Research And They Will Get Back To Me....asked Them To Take It Out And Place It In A Holding Account To Show That I Want To Do The Right Thing - Manager Said They Could Set Up Another New Account In My Name Until The Matter Is Cleared...don;t Want That Either - Now What???

Veronica1228

angies1568 said:
Geez Guys, I Did Not Take The Money!!! They Gave It To Me In My Account In Error....however, I Spent Over An Hour In The Bank On Friday Trying To Tell Them That It Was Not Mine....says It Will Take Them Awhile To Research And They Will Get Back To Me....asked Them To Take It Out And Place It In A Holding Account To Show That I Want To Do The Right Thing - Manager Said They Could Set Up Another New Account In My Name Until The Matter Is Cleared...don;t Want That Either - Now What???
Well, it sounds like you have to wait for the bank to research this. In the meantime, don't spend the money.

If you are surprised by the negative responses you got from your posts, I suggest you reread them.

angies1568 said:
Do I really have to point out how your post above sounds????

angies1568 said:
Even your first post sounds like you want to keep money that doesn't belong to you. I'm glad you eventually did the right thing, but it sounded at first like that was not going to be the case.

JETX

angies1568 said:
Geeze... I just love these idiots rambling justification.

The simple answer is.... what would YOU do if the roles were reversed (they gave you $70 and debited your account for $700)??
Of course, you would scream bloody murder and DEMAND that they immediately correct their records.
So, your options are:
1) Be a responsible adult and contact the bank about their error, or
2) Keep the money and hope that they don't find out about it (and of course, they will).

And when they find out, they will either debit the funds from your account (if you have it) or will file a lawsuit against you if you don't repay them.

Your choice. Do whatever allows you to look at yourself in the mirror in the morning. We cannot legislate morality.... or what your parents should have taught you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">