• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Check cashed by bank it was drawn on, supposed to be stop-payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

louis478

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Last month I was in a small car accident that was the fault of the other driver. I was sent a check for $1410 for damages by the large insurance company of the other driver. The check they sent me had not arrived after a couple of weeks, so after contacting the insurance company, they said they were putting a stop payment on the check and mailed me a replacement.

Fast forward to last Friday. When I walked through the kitchen, there was a check from the insurance company on the table. It was drawn on Wells Fargo. I took it to Wells Fargo (they are actually closer than my bank) and cashed it with no problems. That night, my wife informed me that she had already cashed the check from the insurance company and the check I found had been laid out for me to shred. After checking postmarks on both envelopes, we confirmed that what I cashed was the original check that was supposed to have a stop-payment. The replacement check was deposited three weeks ago and according to our bank, funds have cleared from the other bank.

I spoke with a friend who works for WF and he said that if I cashed a check drawn on WF at a WF branch that had a stop-payment on it, they would not have cashed it. I have the money set aside in my savings account until I know what to do with it and who it goes to. My main question is this - is there any legal recourse against me because of this situation by either the insurance company or the bank? If WF cashed a check that had a stop-payment on it from one of its customers, where does liability fall? If there was an oversight and the insurance company failed to make the stop-payment on the original check, do they have recourse against me? If WF mistakenly cashed a check with a stop-payment that had been issued four weeks prior, do they have recourse against me?

I am going to return the money to the rightful owner. At this time, I'm just not sure if it is due to the insurance company or the bank. But my main concern with this post is the legal ramifications of what happened. What do I need to be concerned about that could be done against me as a result of this mistake? Where do I stand in terms of liability? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

The money came out of the insurance company's account, so you owe it to the insurance company. They should take it up with the bank. In the meantime, if you return the money before they realize what you've done, they are less likely to call the police and claim check fraud.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
That night, my wife informed me that she had already cashed the check from the insurance company and the check I found had been laid out for me to shred. After checking postmarks on both envelopes, we confirmed that what I cashed was the original check that was supposed to have a stop-payment. The replacement check was deposited three weeks ago and according to our bank, funds have cleared from the other bank.
How did your wife cash the other check made out to you? Did she forge your signature? Was the check made out to her as well? Someone may have legal issues unless the money is returned to the insurance company.

louis478

I am self-employed and get 20-25 checks a month from different companies. She endorses them as deposit only and deposits them. I am contacting the insurance company this morning to see how I can get the money back to them.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am self-employed and get 20-25 checks a month from different companies. She endorses them as deposit only and deposits them. I am contacting the insurance company this morning to see how I can get the money back to them.
That could get her in trouble depending on the circumstances. She should NOT be endorsing any checks made out to you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That could get her in trouble depending on the circumstances. She should NOT be endorsing any checks made out to you.
I have deposit stamps for several individuals that I use to endorse checks in order to deposit them in to their accounts...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am going to return the money to the rightful owner. At this time, I'm just not sure if it is due to the insurance company or the bank. But my main concern with this post is the legal ramifications of what happened. What do I need to be concerned about that could be done against me as a result of this mistake? Where do I stand in terms of liability? Thanks in advance.
Kudos for understanding that this is not your money. Quite a few people who have posted to this board with similar situations are here to ask if they can keep the money.

Antigone*

Good point.
I sign my hubby's name to checks all the time. They go into our joint account. There is no problem with that and is not illegal.

Now, his wife should have mentioned to him that she recevied the check and cashed it. That probably would have averted any issues.

I recommend that the OP contact the insurance company and ask them where he should direct the reimbursement of the cashing of the second check.

Antigone*

My father once tried to cash a check at the local bank. They gave him a hard time because they didn't recognize his signature.
Guess my hubby will have a hellova time if he ever tries to go cash a check. It has been years since he has stepped inside a branch.:p

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I sign my hubby's name to checks all the time. They go into our joint account. There is no problem with that and is not illegal.

Now, his wife should have mentioned to him that she recevied the check and cashed it. That probably would have averted any issues.

I recommend that the OP contact the insurance company and ask them where he should direct the reimbursement of the cashing of the second check.
Actually, he has to give permission for you to sign for him (either contructively or specifically). The problem is that this guy didn't give his wife permission to sign the check for him. Why? Because he cashed both of the checks. And if he give her permission then he bears the responsibility and liability of the action. That is where the problem comes into play.

ecmst12

If you are not CASHING a check but only DEPOSITING it into an account in the name of the payee, it doesn't need a signature at all. Which is what wife has been doing - endorsing them with "deposit only", not signing his name or any other name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">