• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Check fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fahadun

Somedays ago an artist from minneapolis hired me as her personal assistant. I live in New York. My job description was to receive her packages and pay her bills. Second day of job I recieved a check of 2 grand with my name printed on it. She said it's payment of her art. Then as she told me to deposit in my account i did it. Then she told me to pay her bills here and there, I thought that's her money so i did it. After teo days that check was bounced now my bank redeemed whole 2 grand from my account because the check bounced. After that I tried contacting my employer alot bow she isn't responding. Now i am down 2 grand. What do i do?

Mass_Shyster

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you've been scammed and will never see your $2,000. These scammers are exploiting fund availability policies, so they know that you can start drawing on the check a few days after you deposit it, and they know it will take longer than that for the check to bounce.

The "artist" was not in Minneapolis, "she" (I doubt it was really a she) could live anywhere, but the scammers always use a place far away from their real location.

Dandy Don

File a police report and post a brief notice on craigslist about it so other local residents can be warned. You may even want to report it to a local television station so they can do a story about it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
...and consider yourself lucky that you aren't being prosecuted for your participation in this scheme.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">