• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Citibank Took Money From My Bank Account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eneelk

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Washington State

Actually not my bank account, my bf's. A couple of guys here read my post before about my bf who went to court cause of his Citibank card. I really don't know what happened in the court when my bf went there. He just told me that everything went ok. SO, I thought that was over.

He just got his check yesterday (Friday) and deposited all that money in his bank. At the same day, I checked his bank account and this is what it says on his statement.

12/17/2004 OTHER/*ALTERNATE FLOAT ADJUSTMENT DECREASE

12/17/2004 OTHER/LEVY/WRIT WITHDRAWAL $1068.43

I called him right away and told him about the problem. He checked his bank statements online. He said, that it might be some kind of mistake and he will figure it out the next day, (which he didn't, instead he worked with the other problems). I think he wasn't worried at all cause he was thinking that was a mistake.

So, I emailed his bank (as my bf).

Secure Message

confirmationNumber: *****************
subject: Transaction History
firstName: *****
lastName: *******
emailAddress: ***********@email.com
cisNumber: *********
accountNumber: *********
accountType: checking
transactionAmount: -1068.43
transactionDate: 12/17/2004 12:00:00 AM
comments: I don't understand what this is. I didn't withdraw a $1068.43,
from my account. This maybe some kind of mistake? What is this mean
OTHER LEVY WRIT WITHDRAWAL and OTHER *ALTERNATE FLOAT ADJUSTMENT
DECREASE. What is that mean? Please straighten this out, cause I didn't
do this kind of transaction, and let me know what is happening here.
Thanks.

This is their reply:

Date: 12/18/2004
To: ***** *******
Subject: Re: Transaction History

RE: Transaction History
Ref. No: *****************

Dear ***** *******:

Thank you for your inquiry.

A levy is a written order to withdraw and remit funds to a specified
agency. Levies are issued by agencies such as the Internal Revenue
Service, the Franchise Tax Board, and state courts.

Washington Mutual received a levy on your account which was completed on
December 17, 2004. The party that submitted the levy is listed as
Citibank S. Dakota and their phone number is 206.236.3100.

The Alternate Float Adjustment Decrease is a transaction that decreased
the deposit hold placed on December 17, 2004. The deposit was for
$959.03 and is no longer on hold.

I apologize for any inconvenience or confusion this may have caused you.

I don't know what my bf did when he went to court. Maybe he signed a paper or a check that those people from citibank can withdraw money from his bank account? He didn't metion that to me, if he signed a paper, I think he is aware of what is going on with his money from his bank, but he does not have any idea at all.

Is that possible that the people from citibank can just take money from somebody's account without telling first or letting him know???

Why this citibank people knows that day that my bf is going to deposit all his money and took all of them and leave one cent from his account?

It's only been ALMOST two months since he went to court. And I don't think he got a judgment against him, cause he haven't told me.

Can somebody please give me information about levy in bank accounts?

My bf does not know that citibank took the money yet, cause he is working during the night and I don't know how to tell him tomorrow on the phone about this problem.

Please give me your ideas what is going on here, cause I really don't know. Thanks. Please help.

Last edited:

Ladynred

Oh your BF has a judgment against him alright.. he either didin't understand what happened in court or he's just not telling you.

A creditor cannot sieze a bank account without a judgment, so he DOES have a judgment against him. If he doesn't pay the judgment voluntarily, then they will use any legal enforcement method to collect and one of them is a bank levy - they took all his money and unless he appeals it IMMEDIATELY that money is gone for good. The next move may be wage garnishment or seizure of assets.

Your BF needs to get his head out of the sand and do something about this, NOW. He needs to call the lawyer who was in court and make some kind of payment or settlement arrangement. If he needs to cash his check, he'd better do it at a check cashing place or have you do it for him at YOUR bank.

I can't find anything in the WA statutes that says what the term of the levy is. In some states its a one-time shot and to do it again they have to file for another levy. In other states, they levy stays there until the debt is paid.

eneelk

Thanks LadynRed, that was fast. :)

I haven't talk to my bf yet, he haven't called me and still he doesn't know what is going on.

I thought he was planning on getting out from Credit Solutions America (CSA), but he haven't done anything about it yet. I thought he is going to file a bankcruptcy, he haven't done it either. Well, I guess what happened right now will teach him a lesson that he needs to do something.

Is it too late for bankcruptcy this time after the citibank levied his bank?

Should my bf stop depositing his money to his bank? Or open another bank account and not giving any information to his creditors?

Last edited:

JETX

Ladynred is 100% correct.

However, I should let you know that what you did (impersonate your boyfriend in contacting HIS bank) is a violation of FEDERAL law, 15 USC 6821, as follows:
§ 6821. Privacy protection for customer information of financial institutions
(a) Prohibition on obtaining customer information by false pretenses
It shall be a violation of this subchapter for any person to obtain or attempt to obtain, or cause to be disclosed or attempt to cause to be disclosed to any person, customer information of a financial institution relating to another person—
(1) by making a false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation to an officer, employee, or agent of a financial institution;
(2) by making a false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation to a customer of a financial institution; or
(3) by providing any document to an officer, employee, or agent of a financial institution, knowing that the document is forged, counterfeit, lost, or stolen, was fraudulently obtained, or contains a false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation.

Let your boyfriend handle HIS problems.

Ladynred

It is NOT too late to file for bankruptcy.

No, he should NOT put any money into HIS account, it will be taken too.

eneelk

Thanks JETX for the additional info. :)

LadynRed, thank you so much! You have been a lot of help for me, you don't have any idea. Thanks again.

eneelk

I have another question. I talked to my bf today, I told him not to put anymore money in his bank account cause the creditors will take it. And he told me that when the employees get their check from the company where they work, the money will be automatically be deposited in their account.

Is there any way that my bf can close his bank account and open another one? If he can't close his bank account and when the time he get his check the money will be automatically gone. What is the use of working then if somebody will just take all his money?

My bf is going to file bankcruptcy but he needs to do something first with his money before he get his next check.

What does my bf have to do to get out of CSA (Credit Solutions of America)? They haven't done anything about his problems. Is there any way that he can get the money back from CSA that they took away from him?

Thanks again.

Last edited:

mikety

hi
i live in california. i read your message that citibank took your money. do get legal advice from some trustful persons. i can suggest you to invest your money in mutul funds, provided by leader investment inc. (www.leaderinvestment.com)
good luck!

Ladynred

He can't pay his bills and you're suggesting investments ?? Geez....

Your BF needs to immediately contact his payroll dept and see if they can stop the direct deposit right away, otherwise he's likely to lose it all. He needs to request a check instead of direct deposit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">