• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Closing a bank account that doesn't have my legal name on it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msramit

Hello,

I opened a Chase bank account two years ago(New York) and I unknowingly put the wrong name. I've been going by my middle name all my life, it's what my parents put down in paper when I went to school. So I thought my middle name was my first, and my first was my middle.

However, my real name is different on my social security card along with all my legal documents. My bank teller had my real name in front of him on a legal document but didn't put that down because I told him not to. Again I thought my name was different. I'm afraid to tell my bank because I'm worried that it might cause problems since it's been two years.

I was thinking of transferring all my funds to a new bank account with my legal name and closing this one so I can avoid the hassle. What is the legality of this and what is the best course of action to take from here on out?

Thank you

Mohammed

CourtClerk

Are you telling me that in your entire life, you never saw your birth certificate and disregarded what you saw on your social security card?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello,

I opened a Chase bank account two years ago(New York) and I unknowingly put the wrong name. I've been going by my middle name all my life, it's what my parents put down in paper when I went to school. So I thought my middle name was my first, and my first was my middle.

However, my real name is different on my social security card along with all my legal documents. My bank teller had my real name in front of him on a legal document but didn't put that down because I told him not to. Again I thought my name was different. I'm afraid to tell my bank because I'm worried that it might cause problems since it's been two years.

I was thinking of transferring all my funds to a new bank account with my legal name and closing this one so I can avoid the hassle. What is the legality of this and what is the best course of action to take from here on out?

Thank you

Mohammed
I seriously doubt this is as big of a deal as you are making it. Speak to the bank.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">