• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

collection agency calling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DennyW

MISSOURI

I recieved a call from a collection agency the firt part of July 2001,
They said I owed over 2800 dollars from a debt from 1998. They said the original debt was denied by a credit card and sent to the collector who turned to them. They called at least 3 times in July, as well as 3 or 4 times in Aug. I told them to stop calling, but they keep calling and yelling. They informed me the debt was for phone sex calls. I denied the debt was mine as I didn't make any calls. They are threatening to take me to turn me over to a district attorney.
At one point they even got my checking account number from me, after which I switched banks when a lawyer told me to close that account.
Please I need help. What can I do to get them off my back, as I don't have that kind of money.
Denny

A

ARTFUL CODGER

You have rights under the FDCPA (15 USC 1692c). Send them
a cease and desist letter via certified mail RRR. Visit www.budhibbs.com for more ideas. They have to send you
documented proof that you owe the money. If they don't and
you have requested that they do, then they are in violation of
the law.

DISCLAIMER: I am neither an attorney nor a legal
professional licensed to practice law in any state.
Therefore, the preceding is simply my own opinion and
should not be construed as legal advice or as an attempt
to form an attorney-client relationshion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">