• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collection Agency CANNOT Verify Account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sa25

I recently got a copy of my credit report that contained a collection account for an old cell phone bill of $8000. I contacted the agency to file a complaint but got NO satisfaction. The credit agency told me that ALL they do to verify an account is ASK the company if it is a valid debt, NO WRITTEN VERIFICATION IS REQUIRED. I was then reffered to the collection agency. They were less than helpful even after I told them the account was opened years ago in a state I did not live in, possibly when I was in high school ( 17 years old ). They told me to "pay it anyway" or I would never have good credit, they would keep selling the debt to other agencies and keep it on my report forever. The woman at the collection agency told me they have "plenty of people who pay invalid debt anyway just to get their credit back, and that is what I should do". They refused to issue the original paperwork of the account to me and said it would only be released to an attorney. HOW IS THIS LEGAL? If anybody has information on agencies to contact or legal help PLEASE POST.
I have already filed complaints with:
Better Business Bureau
Federal Trade Comission
Attorney Generals Office
All Three Credit Agencies

racer72

Per the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, you must do the following within 30 days of being notified. I am not sure about in your case where you notified the collection agency but I would do it anyway. If you feel you do not owe the debt, contact the collection agency in writing (use registered mail with a return receipt) and dispute the validity of the debt. Also ask for the name and address of the company that reqested the collection action. They must supply the information and put a hold on the collection. It is true the collection agency does not have to supply proof of the debt. You must contact the original debtor and they have 30 days to provide proof that the debt is valid. If the debtor can prove the debt is valid and has not exceeded your states statute of limitations for collecting a debt, you will have to pay. If you still dispute the debt, contact the collection agency again and ask them to clear your credit report or seek legal action. Then it would be up to you to prove to a judge that you do not owe the debt. You can read the FDCPA here: http://www.financeadvocate.com/collection/FDCPA.htm

S

sa25

Thanks for the reply Racer, I did submit the written request, but nothing happened. If you know of any other agencies or regulaters, please let me know. It is pretty sad that a person has to hire an attorney just to get verification of a debt. ( Your out $$$ either way, great system ) Anyway I appreciate the Help
Sa25

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">