• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collection agent attempting collection of an old 'debt'

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tortor

I currently live in Minnesota. I have just received a letter from a collection agency in Florida who is attempting to collect $154 I supposedly owed Radio Shack in 1988 in California. I did live in California from 1978-88, but I do not remember having a Radio Shack account. I travelled and was a self employed craftsperson 1988- 1993, when I moved back to Minnesota. This debt to Radio Shack never showed up on any credit report since then, and I have worked hard at cleaning up my credit report. The person I spoke to at the collection agency claimed this was a valid debt because money had been paid on the account, but there was a balance of $54 when I left California. The address he mentioned was not an address I had lived at. There were many credit thieves in California in the late 80's, when electronic reference checking was not well developed. I honestly have not idea what this debt is, but do not believe I should pay it after 13 years. I have been reachable since 1993 in Minnesota, and they could have contacted me under the 7 year time limit.
Can this old debt hurt my credit rating in any way?
How should I refuse to pay this and stop any harrassment from these people? Is their action legal?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">