• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collection Agent Calling My Son @ My Home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dimomma

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Texas
I had lived in Denver in 1996 with my son who was 18 at the time. We moved into an apartment and they had him put his SS# on the lease as he was over 18. I left Denver and ended up filing Bankruptcy. They filed for collection against him. I am currently in McKinney, TX, and have remarried. The collector is now calling my home for my son. I would like to know how he (The collector) obtained my phone number and if it's legal for him to be phoning my home or what I can legally do to stop him from calling. Would a cease and desist letter be available as a remedy for my son?

Ladynred

How the collector got your phone number is legal, they can use any public records or applications you may have signed and put your new number on to contact you. They are allowed to use means to find you and contact you or your son. So, there's not much you can do about that part of it.

As for the collection itself, how long ago did you move out of the apt in Denver and that apt ? Its possible the statute of limitations may come into play. Sending a cease and desist would make them stop calling, yes. Tell them they can no longer contact you, or your son, by phone, only by mail. Make sure you send your letter(s) Certified, return receipt requested too. That way they can't deny they received the letter.

D

dimomma

Thank You

Thank you LadynRed. We moved out of Denver in October of 1996. I would think the statue has run out also. I am trying to get a copy of his Credit Report now to see when they filed for collection. I just got a copy of mine showing that this collection agent pulled a review of my file just this month. How do we go about clearing this up for my son?

bigun

Looks like the SOL in Co. is 6 years {www.creditinfocenter.com}. I would assume the last rent payment would have been in Sept. or Oct. of 1996.

I'd agree with Ladtnred. Just say no more phone calls and then, try and hunker down until the SOL runs.

D

dimomma

Many Thanks

Thank you very much bigun. What a great forum this is, especially for those of us who need advice but don't have either the funds or resources. I'll be passing this site along to other folks with much appreciation. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">