• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collection calls at work!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

angels24me

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

A friend told me that it was illegal for collectors to call you at work. Is this so? I have a small loan with a local finance company and they call my work at least twice a day until I can make my payment. If I'm not there to make my payment by the time they close they are calling my parents house. How can I keep them from calling these places?
:mad:

Ladynred

Its not illegal for them to call you at work unless you tell them, in writing, that they are NOT to call you at work.

Is this an original creditor or a collection agency ? If its a CA, then you can send a cease and desist letter, certified, return receipt requested and tell them not to communicate with you by phone, only by mail.

If this is an original creditor, there's not much you can do. You can try sending them a letter, but OC's are governed by different laws and consumers have less 'power' to deal with them.

M

MSWCCC

My fiance has a student loan that his step-dad co-signed for. My fiance went into debt consolidation, only student loan payments can't be reduced, but writting one check was easier. Well, the con. places has screwed up a couple of times, crediting wrong accounts and such. Which caused this loan to fall behund. You're lucky if you only get called twice a day. They called my fiance and his step-dad so often at work, never at home, that his step-dad was fired for so many calls. He was warned, written up, and fired last week. My fiance is on probation at work for the calls and will get fired if he gets THREE more calls. The problem here also is that the loan place has taken to calling before a bill is due as a "reminder"-x days left! y days left! Starting about two weeks before their due. Even if he's caught up. Is this harassment?

Ladynred

You bet its harrasment !!! Your fiance needs to send a letter to these people ASAP and tell them to STOP calling him at work or he will be fired for the calls ! If he loses his job because they call, then guess what.. they'll get NO money at all. You can make them stop but you have to send a very strong letter or they will ignore him.

His father ought to sue them .. they were the cause of his losing his job !

M

maxteezie

can they call people not related to you. I had a lawyer for a crediter call my next door neighbors house telling them that he is trying to get a hold of me and asked if they could relay the message. I cant imagine that this practice is ok.

bigun

Actually, a creitor can call family and neighbors in an attempt to locate you. Your best bet is pay this thing off as quick as you can.

mandy7181

mswccc---actually there is a way to get the student loan payments your husband owns reduced if they were federal loans. I got mine consolidated through the US Department of Education and it dropped my monthly payments from 50 dollars to 7 dollars. Your husband's may not drop that low---i only owe 1300 dollars but its worth the try.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">