• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collection due to wrong address

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chukfucius

What is the name of your state? NY

My wife was asked to apply for a store credit card when she was making a purchase. She was approved and the charge was put on the store credit card. She never received the statement nor the store card. Until recently she received a letter fm the collection agency saying she owed $270 which is more than 5 times the amt she had purchased. Also the letter which has the wrong address somehow ended up in our mailbox. She contacted the collection agency and told them that the whole situation was caused by human error from the store. Now she is liable to pay this debt due to the store error??? Now they are saying that the past due will be on the credit report. The question I have is if the full pymt is made, is there a way that it will not be shown on the credit report of this account being delinquent? Also, what can I do to this bank which they approved a credit card even the address is wrong? Can I sue them for the damage that they made permanently on my wife's record? Any information is greatly appreciated.

Veronica1228

chukfucius said:
What is the name of your state? NY

My wife was asked to apply for a store credit card when she was making a purchase. She was approved and the charge was put on the store credit card. She never received the statement nor the store card. Until recently she received a letter fm the collection agency saying she owed $270 which is more than 5 times the amt she had purchased. Also the letter which has the wrong address somehow ended up in our mailbox. She contacted the collection agency and told them that the whole situation was caused by human error from the store. Now she is liable to pay this debt due to the store error??? Now they are saying that the past due will be on the credit report. The question I have is if the full pymt is made, is there a way that it will not be shown on the credit report of this account being delinquent? Also, what can I do to this bank which they approved a credit card even the address is wrong? Can I sue them for the damage that they made permanently on my wife's record? Any information is greatly appreciated.
The fact that the bank made an error on the address does not absolve you from being responsible for your debt. Your wife was aware that she applied for a credit card and was approved. Your wife was aware that she utilized this line of credit to make a purchase, therefore creating a debt. If you didn't get a bill YOUR WIFE should have been on the phone or going back to that store and asking them why.

Why didn't you contact the store? Were you hoping that your LOC had been lost due to a computer glitch and therefore your wife was able to get some free merchandise? I'll bet if the error had been in your favor (which I'll bet you were thinking it was) you would not be on this site complaining. :rolleyes:

mrmass

Yes, whenever any credit card bill does not come or doesn't come on time, call immediately to settle the amount on the phone or get a new bill or you will be liable for all consequences of late-/non-payment.

camposmiguel

How about in the case of a medical bill

How about if the bill you never received was from a hospital visit for which the insurance company is supposed to pay in full?

I know the admonition about being responsible for your bill, but if it is a bill you do not expect and the vendor makes a mistake on the address, I can't see how the courts could look at this the same as someone that forgets they charged something to a credit card.

We are in the middle of this situation, hospital bill for a portion of a bill which the insurance did not cover, we never received the bill and it went to collections.

Any word of advise as to how to proceed?

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">