• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cooling Off Period on Mortgage Refinance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OakenRose

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

On Saturday, I agreed to refinance my house with my current mortgage lender for a lower interest rate. They required that I pay a "non-refundable" deposit of $400 immediately and so I gave them a credit card number to charge the deposit to. After I hung, I took a closer look at the numbers and discovered that I would be paying $2,500 in fees and would recoup on $1,100 in interest savings. So, I tried calling back to cancel the deal and just got a recording. I immediately sent an e-mail to the loan representative that helped me telling him that I wanted to cancel the deal and get my deposit back. I've tried calling again this morning (Monday), but haven't gotten any response yet. So, I'm wondering: is there a cooling off period allowed for mortgage refinancings or is my $400 deposit indeed lost?

Thanks,
OakenRose

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">