• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit card fraud.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pluto_616

I'm in Minnesota. My ex girlfriend used my banking information, ssn, and other info to open 3 credit cards in my name. She then maxed them out and never made a payment. She spent the next 6 months throwing away my mail so I would not know. I finally recieved a call from a bank requesting payment. At the time I did not press charges. I would like to know. The accounts were opened in November 2014 and I found out in April 2015. Also I have payed about 50% of the balances at this point. Anything I can do?

justalayman

Keep paying

You have a valid suit against your girlfriend for any money you pay on the accounts.

You accepted it was not a criminal matter when you not only refused to prosecute your ex but agreed to just pay the accounts.

LdiJ

I'm in Minnesota. My ex girlfriend used my banking information, ssn, and other info to open 3 credit cards in my name. She then maxed them out and never made a payment. She spent the next 6 months throwing away my mail so I would not know. I finally recieved a call from a bank requesting payment. At the time I did not press charges. I would like to know. The accounts were opened in November 2014 and I found out in April 2015. Also I have payed about 50% of the balances at this point. Anything I can do?
As far as criminal charges are concerned I think that you would have a hard time convincing the police or the DA at this point that you did not condone her actions. You waited 8 months to care enough to consider criminal charges. If you just recently broke up, or broke up considerably after the fact, it will look very suspicious on your part.

latigo

I tell you what, pluto. If you can sell that story to anyone, please let me know. I have a bridge over the East River I'd be willing to part with on reasonable terms.

pluto_616

Thanks for the info.

While I understand all of your points I also think it is kind of unfair. I know that the legal system is not always "fair" but she broke the law, plain and simple. The accounts that were opened were Buckle (clothing co.), Maurieces (clothing co.), and Victoria Secret (clothing co.). I did not condone her actions and I think she would admit to that in a court of law. I also have many witnesses that would back me up on her admitting that it was theft. I also have the receipts for all of the items that she bought and it proves that nothing was in the benefit of me or our kids. All of the items bought directly benefited her and her alone. The reason I paid the accounts was to try to save my credit. The reason I did not press charges immediately was because I did not want my kids mother in jail. You are right though, we have broken up since then but I'm not sure how that should affect the legal decision.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
While I understand all of your points I also think it is kind of unfair. I know that the legal system is not always "fair" but she broke the law, plain and simple. The accounts that were opened were Buckle (clothing co.), Maurieces (clothing co.), and Victoria Secret (clothing co.). I did not condone her actions and I think she would admit to that in a court of law. I also have many witnesses that would back me up on her admitting that it was theft. I also have the receipts for all of the items that she bought and it proves that nothing was in the benefit of me or our kids. All of the items bought directly benefited her and her alone. The reason I paid the accounts was to try to save my credit. The reason I did not press charges immediately was because I did not want my kids mother in jail. You are right though, we have broken up since then but I'm not sure how that should affect the legal decision.
You implicitly approved of the transactions. Whether or not they were of a benefit to anyone but her is largely irrelevant - people buy gifts all the time.

justalayman

You condoned her actions by refusing to officially contesting them by reporting the activity as fraudulent to the card issuers and then following their instruction which would have been to file a police report.

Since you refused to take the necessary actions to protest your girlfriends use and allow the issuing banks the ability to seek a means to recoup their money from the criminal who took it, you have in fact assumed liability for the debts.

You can sue your former girlfriend. If you can prove she used the cards without your permission or has failed to complete and agreed upon payment plan you can probably get a judgment against her.

Your credit was not at risk in the least if you reported the activity as fraudulent (and it was determined you were not complicit in some scheme to defraud the lenders). Federal laws have already addressed your concerns.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">